Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mark your eq mounted Newtonian.

It's a fairly easy task to mark your Newtonian ota and rings. It makes setting up and observing much easier. Firstly mark inside the rings ( I use White stickers) on a line straight in line with the focuser. 

Turn the ota and move the mount until its pointing north , about Polar star height. Ensure that you can comfortably reach and look through the focuser (ep). Mark the rings "N" where they meet the white stickers. Repeat for the East . You should be able to judge where the ota needs to be spun around to get South or West. You can then set up ,for example north east or south west , between the ring marks.

I also use a long hose clip on cable conduit plastic. One ring of this at the top ring holds the tube in position when the loosen the rings and stops the dreaded slippage. I tend to observe one area on the sky with a Newt , especially on a goto mount . It's easier to align and observe. 
If you have a small ota , it's often the case that by getting the counterweight bar opposite the focuser , you should be able to observe most quadrants without falling off a chair. Nick.IMG_1060.thumb.JPG.4afbc0f1f6a128ed57ec6d53c5302a24.JPG

Archived