NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Autofocuser/motorfocuser recommendations

Louise, Hello ! the TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 115 mm f/6,96 Triplet APO with 2.5" RP focuser 1:11  and from the producer of the APO home-page, it is possible to use the focusser indicated under the LINK above. That would be USB_Focus v3 Set and you then would also need the adapter to attach the USB 3 focusser and that is this part USB_Focus adapter kit for 2.5" and 3" R&P focusers..

Drivers and softwares for the USB FOCUS 3 can be downloaded from HERE..

That is one possible way to make your  R+P  focuser to be  Autofocuser/motorfocuser equiped

Regards

Martin

2 minutes ago, artem said:

Louise, Hello ! the TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 115 mm f/6,96 Triplet APO with 2.5" RP focuser 1:11  and from the producer of the APO home-page, it is possible to use the focusser indicated under the LINK above. That would be USB_Focus v3 Set and you then would also need the adapter to attach the USB 3 focusser and that is this part USB_Focus adapter kit for 2.5" and 3" R&P focusers..

Drivers and softwares for the USB FOCUS 3 can be downloaded from HERE..

That is one possible way to make your  R+P  focuser to be  Autofocuser/motorfocuser equiped

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks :) I had seen that one but wanted an actual recommendation from someone - if there is anyone that can! I'm sure some one else here has a scope with the same/similar focusser. I hope!

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,

I have two Moonlite focusers that were bloody expensive, too expensive in my opinion, I needed to buy another one for a scope I have just acquired with a Featherlite focuser, so I listened to @RayD and contacted IanKing and purchased a Lakeside Focuser to operate it, £309 and it will almost certainly be as good if not better, I'm just waiting for the bracket to be made and I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi

I know, right. There's nothing wrong with the fitted 2.5" ts r&p focuser but motor control would make life a lot easier. The usb_focus v3 that ts do looks ok (still not cheap - from euros217 + another 100 just for an adaptor! :-O ) - I mean they're all basically the same - but I can't find hardly anyone that uses the usb_focus! It's always nice to have a recommendation. I suppose ts sell mostly good hardware so it's probably ok. Really, one's paying for the software I think. The cloudy nights review is very positive - perhaps a bit overblown for the equipment... There's always diy, I suppose...

Louise

Hi Louise,

yes off the shelf, tend to be expensive, but if you are willing, or know somebody that can have their arm twisted, then you could go the self build route...  I've built a couple for my different OTA's & all work ok & quite happily talk to SGPro, BackyardEOS etc....

Have a search for "Arduino Focuser" in DIY Astronomer..... 

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Hi Louise,

yes off the shelf, tend to be expensive, but if you are willing, or know somebody that can have their arm twisted, then you could go the self build route...  I've built a couple for my different OTA's & all work ok & quite happily talk to SGPro, BackyardEOS etc....

Have a search for "Arduino Focuser" in DIY Astronomer..... 

Hi Julian

I know :) I have previously written a simple software interface for a SW DC focus motor and usb control board - it was good enough! But I don't have a suitable bracket for the ts 115mm. But, there again, instead of messing about I could just as well get one ready made with a stepper motor and save time and trouble - hopefully!

Louise

7 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Looking at a picture of your OTA I'm sure you could get a printed part to fit, I use a modified design by Chris Locke i.e. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1571692 on my ED 80, but there are plenty of others there....

If you can give me accurate dimensions I could probably print one for you ....

That's very kind of you but I think I'll get a set off-the-shelf - save time and trouble! It's only money... Haha

Louise

Archived