NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron/AZ5 Modified Mount for Heritage 130P

Mark at Beaufort

I own a SkyTee 2 Mount which has a Berlebach Uni 18 Tripod which I use with my Orion VX8.

I found that for my PST a lighter grab and go mount would be easier to set up and carry around. I bought a Celestron Astromaster - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/astromaster-tripod.html this tripod has been very good. However, when I bought my Heritage 130P the position of the RDF was at the bottom making viewing difficult.

When the new Skywatcher AZ5 was introduced I felt that it would be an ideal quick grab mount but seeing at the IAS I felt that the tripod was too light.

I made the decision to remove the head of the Astromaster but found that the screw was not 3/8ths. I bought some 2" 3/8th screws from Astroboot which fiited into the Pillar very well. So with the AZ5 the mount is now complete and the metal legs of the Astromaster is so much more stable.

I have had first light viewing the Sun today with the L Bracket dovetail that I already had. So far successful but hopefully it use the Heritage tonight to see how it performs.

IMG_2275.jpg

az5 Heritage.jpg

az5.jpg

az5 l bracket.jpg

AZ5 PST.jpg

Looks excellent Mark, good idea using the L bracket.

Question. How did you attach the finder shoe to the OTA? Is it bolted in place? Looks a useful addition.

I'm thinking of buying another of the pillars for my other tripod as they are very useful.

On 03/12/2017 at 14:25, Stu said:

Looks excellent Mark, good idea using the L bracket.

Question. How did you attach the finder shoe to the OTA? Is it bolted in place? Looks a useful addition.

I'm thinking of buying another of the pillars for my other tripod as they are very useful.

Stu I drilled two holes and bolted the shoe. It works very well. I have a RDF that fits into the shoe which you can see from the first photo. However, with all my scopes I like to use a RDF and a Finderscope.

On 03/12/2017 at 14:29, Mark at Beaufort said:

Stu I drilled two holes and bolted the shoe. It works very well. I have a RDF that fits into the shoe which you can see from the first photo. However, with all my scopes I like to use a RDF and a Finderscope.

Thanks Mark. A useful mod; I have a spare shoe so will do the same. The tube seems quite sturdy though I'm not sure what it is actually made from?

The AZ5 is a really good grab and go mount. I bought the AZ5 mount and pillar without the tripod.

I had an aluminium tripod from a broken AZ3 and used a 6" 3/8" bolt to attach to the AZ5. 

I use it with my WO ZS71 ed and 127 mak, really like the slo mo controls, very smooth.

image.thumb.jpg.3e13315033676e2c39a93f31e8a83d56.jpg

Avtar

Archived