Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC281 HST -

ampleamp

- well at least my version of HST. I like the HST palette but find it a devil to get right so I have accepted that this is my version of the famous palette.

Info - taken over two nights this week from Shropshire with my APM152 reduced to 900mm focal length and my SXVR-H694; slightly cropped. 17 x 1200s H, 17 x 1200s S and just 8 x 1200s O all unguided. Unfortunately I lost the rest of the O channel due to SGP focusing on clouds and making a mess of all the followed. However, since the seeing appeared to be very good and i was impatient to see how it would turn out I decided to process what i had. I have attached the Ha raw stack (just a stretch to save it as a jpeg) for comparison.

Thanks for looking and as always, i am looking for improvements etc

NGC281.jpg

H_raw.jpg

You've framed the target very well, off-setting the Pacman, bring centre of attention to the dusty globs in the midst of the OIII areas central to the nebula.  The Ha stack is excellent.

Whether it is the lost contrast in the clouded OIII subs or wrong settings or too much NR, the finished image has softened and you've lost the detail of the Ha stack.  The Ha stack will respond well to accurate deconvolution and help again with small scale detail.

I'd be tempted to revist the processing and go gentle on the NR and colour saturation - the gas is tenuous and transparent.

Good luck.

Hi Barry. Thanks for the comments. I didn’t apply any NR to the Ha and did so some deconvolution however the S and O channels weren’t quite so good so will look at that again. The attached is how this first came out after combination and controlling the green. Maybe I was a bit too strong on saturation with my wishto get to Hubble. 

F5601F7A-B1E9-4471-A119-FD356DD43B07.jpeg

Archived