Interesting Visual Triple In Cepheus (But No Nebs!)

cloudsweeper

I was pleased to see a clear sky at 2.45, after last evening's false start, so set up the 8SE (again).

I aligned on Caph and Capella, and checked the GoTo against C14 (Double Cluster) - spot on.  My main aim was to see some regions of nebulosity, but LP is against me here, so the Heart and Soul only showed the clusters within, regardless of filtering.  The Pacman Neb. (also in Cass.) was the same, but the star pattern within (including the unexciting open cluster IC1590) was readily identified.  

The cluster in Cepheus's Wizard Nebula was dense, with mostly faint stars, and again, no nebulosity was detected.  C11 the Bubble Neb. in Cass. - another "no show".

Open Cluster M52 was in the same FOV as C11, so I salvaged something by enjoying that - small, dense, mainly faint stars, lovely at x113.  Then a quick look at M45,  which by comparison, stood out for all the bright stellar components!  Open Cluster M36 in Auriga was dense, with many brighter stars - again, good at x113.

The final failed nebula however produced something good to finish the session!  The Elephant's Trunk Neb. in Cepheus surrounds a loose cluster with HIP 106886(A)/HD 206267 at the centre.  This is a quintuple system (2+1+1+1) - a difficult visual quad, but an easy yet tight visual triple, with one noticeably brighter component.  Well worth a look for fans of doubles!  I took it to just x85.

Two good hours, with some successes snatched from the jaws of failure!

Doug.

Archived