Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wi fi adapter

cotterless45

The signal in the cable is 5v logic, plus 12v to power the hand controller,and I think the serial out of the hand controller is similar, so it is not hard to make a wireless or Bluetooth extender for it. I have personally made a Bluetooth EQDirect adapter (image from my twitter post about it attached) which means I don't need to use the controller. This looks like a fancy serial to WiFi adapter and in theory should work for any Skywatcher mount with that handcontroller.

But it still needs the hand controller. I'm not sure what mount you have but if you want to have the hand controller away from an HEQ5 which uses CAT5 connectors, just buy a 10m or 20m CAT5 cable for <£10, much cheaper and more reliable unless you want to use it on a mobile device. Before going down the Bluetooth route I used a 10m CAT5 cable but went wireless in the pursuit of less wires to trip on. You can also extend the cables for other Skywatcher mounts.

HEQ5BT.png

Archived