NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

California & Monkey head nebula's Ha

Nigel G

I'm really enjoying imaging with the Ha filter, a vast improvement. Feels like a leap forward for once :) 

Still a bit of mottling and banding there.

2 images - California nebula. 2h 40m of 600s.

Monkey head nebula 2h 48m of 600s - 720s & 900s.

ISO 800, Modified Canon 1200D with 12nm Ha filter, 80ED, EQ3.

PHD2, DSS & StarTools.

Cheers

Nige.

Cali-Ha-mono.thumb.jpg.0df9eceb6d1e0b38e9d8c9e5c5ec1534.jpg

5a1af4114aa10_MonkeyHa.thumb.jpg.cd7fb650af44a0dc23bbef49a9292ecd.jpg

Thanks for posting these Nige, lovely shots and as you say that feeling of having taken a step forward. I'm rather hoping Santa is leaving me a clip in Ha filter for Christmas so some idea on exposure lengths and number of subs to take are always welcomed :-)

Best Regards,
Steve

3 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Thanks for posting these Nige, lovely shots and as you say that feeling of having taken a step forward. I'm rather hoping Santa is leaving me a clip in Ha filter for Christmas so some idea on exposure lengths and number of subs to take are always welcomed :-)

Best Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve

10-15 minute subs seems to be norm.  I found reasonable quality with 12 600s subs at ISO1600 in Ha with dithering, but 20+ subs would make it nice and smooth. If you decide to get an Oiii filter then 15-20 minute subs. 

23 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

10-15 minute subs seems to be norm.  I found reasonable quality with 12 600s subs at ISO1600 in Ha with dithering, but 20+ subs would make it nice and smooth. If you decide to get an Oiii filter then 15-20 minute subs

Thanks for this advice, I will write it all down to try sometime in late December :-) I will be imaging using a Star Adventurer mount but from recent experience 10-15 minute exposures at say 85mm FL will not be a problem with a Ha filter, really looking forward to seeing what results.

Thanks again,
Steve

3 hours ago, Filroden said:

Those are lovely. I love the Monkey Head. Might have to target that soon though M78 first. 

Thanks Ken, Good luck :) 

2 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Best Regards,
Steve

Thanks Steve, I hope Santa delivers the goods :) 

Both yourself and Ken have helped a lot over the past 2 years, as many others have, especially with the no eq challenge, where it all started for me :)

To be of any help is all my pleasure :)

Cheers

Nige.

On 26/11/2017 at 18:09, Nigel G said:

I'm really enjoying imaging with the Ha filter, a vast improvement. Feels like a leap forward for once :) 

Still a bit of mottling and banding there.

2 images - California nebula. 2h 40m of 600s.

Monkey head nebula 2h 48m of 600s - 720s & 900s.

ISO 800, Modified Canon 1200D with 12nm Ha filter, 80ED, EQ3.

PHD2, DSS & StarTools.

Cheers

Nige.

Cali-Ha-mono.thumb.jpg.0df9eceb6d1e0b38e9d8c9e5c5ec1534.jpg

5a1af4114aa10_MonkeyHa.thumb.jpg.cd7fb650af44a0dc23bbef49a9292ecd.jpg

Great pictures. Can I ask if you use flats or is darks only necessary. 

Taken during recent moon appearance?

Gerry

3 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Great pictures. Can I ask if you use flats or is darks only necessary. 

Taken during recent moon appearance?

Gerry

Hi Gerry. Thanks.

I used flats and bias, no darks. I dither between subs.

And yes during this moon, although it was a fair way from the targets, the moon shouldn't be an issue with Ha anyway.

Nige.

Archived