Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pegasus Cluster (M15) Sketch

Andrew*

I occasionally make a quick sketch at the eyepiece. I thought I would share this one I made last night. I'm happy with it, but I really need to get my stars a bit rounder!!

Sketching really makes you more aware of what you're looking at and view it very accurately. Saying that, though, only 6 stars are placed a bit accurately, the small mottled core represents the eyepiece view, but the rest of the stars are just smacked on [removed word]-nilly!

Hope you like!

object: Pegasus Cluster (Messier 15)

scope: 16" lightbridge

eyepiece: 19mm Skywatcher EF

magnification: 96x

seeing: average - 3/5

transparency: good - 4/5

processing: inversion, curves, blurring and sharpening.

8682_normal.jpeg

(re-edit with cardinal points)

Andrew

Thanks for your comments all. I should have made this sketch a little bigger. It's only about an inch across on paper! Meaning it didn't leave a lot of scope for tiny numerous stars...

Algol, that's now my 9th sketch! :smiley: Most of the others are a little more half-hearted...

Nebulae, eh? :? I wouldn't know where to start, because as soon as you do a line with a pencil it looks like a wisp of nebulosity which wasn't at all there...

Andrew

Algol, blending is the best way to render nebulae. One way is to lay the pencilpoint flat onto the paper and very lightly place a layer of graphite onto the paper, and then blend it with a blending stump or tortillon.

The other way is to work a bit of graphite onto another piece of paper (like paint on a palette) and then dab a blending stump or tortillon onto it and then apply the graphite to the sketch.. blend with a clean stump/tortillon.

Either way, practice the methods before getting behind the eyepiece and keep in mind that under a red light it's easy to apply too much graphite. If you look at the sketch the next day and the nebulosity looks a bit too intense, just use a kneadable art eraser to gently lift off the excess. It was applied layer by layer, and it can be removed the same way. :smiley:

Archived