Terrestial spotting scope good optics for astronomy

As binoculars are good for land & sky, I want a spotting scope which has good optics for astronomy, 80 to 90mm OG which will take 1.25 inch eyepieces. Dual purpose spotter & rich field refractor. 

Or alternatively a small Astro refractor same size OG that will take a 1.25 eps & diagonals for upright & Astro - if a spotting scope it needs a 45 deg prism. 

I bought the cheap Jessops Spotting Scope MS206060 for the mrs, as she can't use binoculars? but  anyone considering this scope, best to avoid?  its pretty much redundant now! Funny how some of  Jessops stuff ends up this way? although from the high street, on the day,  looking up at a tower mast on some high hill in the distance, the image looked ok , however, anyone considering this scope, I would still avoid?

Most often this scope is used from the confines of the car viewing Sea life,  Birds, Seals, Dolphins and she would now prefer a straight scope rather than angled, as looking down into the scope whilst attached to a window or leant on the door is a bit awkward for her.

Angled vs. Straight will have their Pro's & Con's. I would have thought that a straight scope would be quicker for acquisition ?

The last scope brand I looked at was Vortex, and First Light Optics are selling these at present. 

I don't really like using a spotting scope for astronomy. The main problem is that they have fixed 45° diagonals which means that anything higher than 45° is quite uncomfortable to look at in my experience. Additionally, there is no finder shoe so you might have to consider sticking something on. Alternatively the Baader Skysurfer III looks like it has an adaptor that fits between a spotting scope foot and the quick release plate for your tripod head. I've not got one to have tried it though, I use a cable tie sight on my spotting scope (only ever used at night if I want to watch an ISS pass).

If you really want a single scope for both purposes then Pentax and Celestron Regal scopes have 1.25" fittings and other scopes may be able to take them with adaptors. However, I've seen comments about the Regals having undersized prisms that cut into the FoV for low power/wide AFoV eyepieces and the Pentaxes not focusing at infinity with all zooms so other eyepieces may be affected. 

Archived