Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does PHD take dithering into account?

Skipper Billy

Does PHD take dithering into account when reporting the RMS error ?

I was watching the RMS errors which were sitting around 0.7" but soon after a dither it bounced up before eventually settling down again.

Should it not ignore the dithers when reporting the RMS errors ??

unnamed.jpg

It seems to me that PHD2 reports the average of the errors in the graph window.

In your case the errors will drop back to normal as soon as your Dither deviation has marched out of the graph window.

I notice you're on an old version of PHD2, it's been up to 2.6.4 for some time ?

Michael

Thanks for this!  It explains some poorer-than-expected numbers, since I always go for a large amount of dither AND choose a wide time interval on PHD which includes several dithers.  I must play with this next session.  Also worth investigating the log viewer, I suppose. 

I have to say, though, that in the end, if the subs and stack look good then that’s all that counts.

On 24/11/2017 at 14:13, AKB said:

I have to say, though, that in the end, if the subs and stack look good then that’s all that counts.

^^^^ Never lose site of that fact!  Can be obsessive about graphs and precise polar alignment etc but, in the end, if the subs are good then that is what counts.

Archived