Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Celestron Evolution Issues

bilbo

Hi All

I've been banging my head all weekend with a new New Celestron Evolution 8HD With Starsense

To keep things simple the Mount Only was tested on various devices.  Using manual alignment and
Latest Sky Safari Pro 5, Connection Appears to Be Solid and I can disconnect/reconnect at will.

Some of the problems

Exactly 30 sec random frequent lockups on Ipad Air 2 on IOS 10
Random but shorter lock ups on Star portal, Less but still frequent lockups on IOS 11.11 (latest)
After IOS Update to 11.11 Alignment points aren't reset even after full shut down, alignments are added
until 10 out of 10 used, 
Iphone 6S Plus, IOS 11.02 Pro 5 less & shorter lockups

Ipad & Iphone, Pressing direction and catching menu tab item results in runaway slew, Exit menu &
hit direction button to stop, (slew limits are ignored)
Changing settings, eg enabling telrad, adjusting max slew rate resulted in loss of alignment.

Cannot get access point mode to connect to Airport or D-Link Router (secure/wep/wpa/open) DHCP all
tested
Wifi access point/direct connect switch has no effect, Direct connect available in both positions and  
SSID Celestron 2D always visible

Mount randomly appears to be confused on final (fine slewing) of goto, Sounds like the stepper motors
on an running inkjet printer, redoing goto or slewing scope silence the motors.

These are just some of the issues, any comments,?

Thanks

Steve

PS, I have obviously done all the resets, clears, reloads etc for each situation.

That's way more than you fair share of issues... one of the reasons to why I stick with good old fashioned physical connections...

Seems like if it's not buggy software than you might be losing WIFI connection intermittently, is your WIFI signal strength good, it wouldn't be reconnecting at random times?

Are you running 54Mbps WIFI or faster like the 150Mbps/300Mbps?

If 54 Mbps than try a slower WIFI protocol... a or b... 

Thanks for the input.

There was a lot of reports of weak wifi signals on these mounts, Celestron apparently addressed this and the signal is very strong on this one with no sign of disconnects.  I'm good with sort of stuff but this has me at a loss, I'm hoping someone's had the same issues, had them sorted by Celestron and can let me know what the problem was.

It could be something to do with the wifi switch, In the access point position it shouldn't really be broadcasting its network ID or letting me connect directly. If anyone could check their Evo mount and let me know if they can connect or see the scope with the switch in both positions it'd be a great help. 

I'd sooner return this than have it go back to Celestron, from every thing I've heard they are something just below atrocious for service. Its a real shame the package ticks all the boxes for someone like me who's always pushed for time, Easily portable, No wires,  No Handset needed, Unattended auto alignment with starsense, A built in LiOn battery, Standard vixen fit so I can slap my solar scope or 80mm frac on it & last but not least there that 8" Edge HD OTA (still unwrapped).

cheers

Steve

I would check you are running the latest firmware for the mount and SSA and test properly without using the Wi-Fi. If all is well you now know that all these issues are all Wi-Fi / software related rather than related to normal non Wi-Fi operations. There is a chap on here Noah 4x4 who has documented much about the Wi-Fi woes of the Evo mounts, maybe he will see this or you could ping him a message. Some good info over at CN if you search there.

Thanks for the input John

I am going to give the handset a run a some point purely to shed light on the issue regard the erratic noise produced at the end of the goto, If it does the same with a handset then it could point to encoders. The accuracy is bang on, It just sounds like it cant lock itself onto that final point, hitting either side instead. The other issues are down to wireless communication/translation

I'm pretty sure for the main part the issue is with the wifi, The main question for me at the moment is the wifi mode switch and the fact that mount is visible and I connect directly to it in both positions.  This is something you wouldn't expect from any wireless network device that I have come across. I'm hoping that its all down to something like a loose or disconnected cable.

I know there were issues in the past and I understand they've been resolved, This is the latest (celestron nn SSID) brand new full kit bought specifically for its wifi capabilities. We have horses that easily could pull our car along the road, but we use it as it was intended and drive it.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I dont like the description of the sound the mount is making at the end of the Goto, that would be my bigger concern before solving WiFi issues. I have a very early Evo mount and the sound is pretty consistent from start to finish in goto and fairly quiet on approach. I can test the WiFi switches on mine and report back but as mine is an earlier mount it may be a different, there are a few on here with later evos like yours let's hope they see this for you and chime in.

My WiFi is OK out at the dark site as no interference from other networks, actually it works well for an early unit but I actually prefer the HC so rarely use the WiFi other than to do firmware updates. Also tracking and goto need my 9.25 front loaded so the balance is in favour slight at the front. 

I know many users have overcome the WiFi issues by shelling out for the dedicated Celestron WiFi unit but that is more money and in reality you should not need to do this.

Is the package still under warranty? 

Definitely a case of step by step trouble shooting, but number one for me is the latest firmware because the first thing Celestron will ask you is if you are running that. 

Rgds 

John 

Archived