Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Improved Skymax 127 Jupiter pics - 20/09/08.

Deneb

hi

From my previous post, i thought i share some improved pics of Jupiter, these pics were taken with a Philips SPC 900NC in Prime Focus, coupled with IR & Yellow Filter at 15fps, then stacked in registax.

Jupiter_200908_1.jpg

Jupiter_200908_2.jpg

Any suggestions how i could improve my images, would be appreciated, thanks.

Thanks Rawhead, I have yet to try using my webcam with a barlow lens, I will try that tonight, then post the pics after.

How's your 80ED Pro, you must get phenominal images with that scope, especially with the optical quality !

Hi Deneb,

The barlowwill make a big difference. Is it a X2? You have managed to get a big image considering you are not using one already. :thumbright:

Did you RGBalignin registax? That's something I've only just started doing and it made a bigdifferenceto my pics.

The 80ED is supposed to be an excellent imaging scope but I have only scratched the surface. Bit obsessed with Jupiter at the mo and that's all I've really looked at...

With Jupiter being so low this year, I'm not sure the quality of scope will make that much of a difference :smiley:

Good luck for tonight :bino2:

Cheers

Jon

I've just found the original avi file of last nights session, processed it with LRGB option on, then got this:

Jupiter_200908_3.jpg

Maybe some improvement, but not really noticible, let's wait till tonight.

UPDATE: I processed this pic with Paint Shop Pro X2:

Jupiter_200908PSP_3.jpg

The RGB align feature is on the Wavelet processing page.

Click RGB align sub tab

Check the define area box

Click and drag a selection box over the planet

Click the Estimate button...

On the Wavelet options sub tab page I also click the RGB balance button and then Auto balance

Nice shots, its worth mentioning that you can do the RGB align manually. I find I can usually do a slightly better job myself than the auto-align.

yes your right, the Manual Alignment is better, how fun this is, learning how to use Registax properly.

Just an update, this pic was taken w/ my Philips within the eyepiece diagonal on the 26/09/08:

Jupite1_26_0908.jpg

I have tried to get my webcam focused into a Barlow, but finding it hard to get a decent enough focused image. The best image I can get with the barlow is with a 12.4mm , any higher eyepiece it is just blurred.

Any pointers how I should proceed in imaging with a barlow would be appreciated, thanks.

I have tried to get my webcam focused into a Barlow, but finding it hard to get a decent enough focused image. The best image I can get with the barlow is with a 12.4mm , any higher eyepiece it is just blurred.

Any pointers how I should proceed in imaging with a barlow would be appreciated, thanks.

You mention using a 12.4mm eyepiece. These images are EP projection then, not prime focus?

No - I had used the 12.4mm in the barlow just for viewing so it would help me get a bigger picture centered in webcam software, then tried just to focus the webcam fitted onto the barlow, thats where I had trouble focusing the object in the fov.

Hi Deneb

Jupiter is in about as worst a place it ever can be.

Seeing is usually terrible that low down so focusing at power will not a easy at all.

You need to wait for a steady night, I fear though time is against you now.

There are 3 ways to improve it -

Shoot at a low f ratio (as you are doing)

Shoot in Near infra red (requies a filter and will be mono)

Shoot very high frames very quickly (means a new kind of webcam for you)

But my advice is to wait until next season now as Jupiter is way past its best.

Hope that helps

Ed

Hi Deneb

Jupiter is in about as worst a place it ever can be.

Seeing is usually terrible that low down so focusing at power will not a easy at all.

You need to wait for a steady night, I fear though time is against you now.

There are 3 ways to improve it -

Shoot at a low f ratio (as you are doing)

Shoot in Near infra red (requies a filter and will be mono)

Shoot very high frames very quickly (means a new kind of webcam for you)

But my advice is to wait until next season now as Jupiter is way past its best.

Hope that helps

Ed

Thanks Ed, see your point, I was thinking about observing in the next season, at least it would better viewed then.

Archived