NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik 460ex current draw and cooling setting

Astroblagger

Well, I don't have a cooled camera in my possession - its on the way though.  My understanding of the physics though would be that it takes a fair amount of power to cool it down to the set point in a reasonable time, then the amount of power would fall off significantly to maintain the set-point temperature. 

I am assuming here you're in the UK, so when its 0c or below on typical imaging nights you could easily cool to -20c without causing a power issue for you.

Of course there will always be less noise the colder you go - but - the convenience of reused calibration frames means you should be able to hit the temperature set-point whatever the ambient - which is why I guess most people go for -15 or -20c.

14 hours ago, John78 said:

- the convenience of reused calibration frames means you should be able to hit the temperature set-point whatever the ambient -

...although if you just use a bad pixel map and bias, instead of darks, these are not temperature dependent, so you don’t need to worry about this issue at all (or bother with taking a dark library at several different temperatures.)

I have found that my 460EX needs to be at -10 to perform at its best, and below this really doesn't show any significant difference.  I use a 10m cool down and warm up time just to go easy on the camera and set it cooling whilst I'm doing my guide calibration etc. so it is ready to go when I am.

Archived