NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY motorized Focuser

TheMrGecko

I've made many remote focusers but I use stepper motors controlled with either an Arduino or Raspberry Pi 3.  I use the cheap little 28BYJ-48 geared stepper motor, excellent for the purpose and easily controlled.  I'll think about writing a tutorial on using an Arduino to go with my Raspberry Pi tutorial.

Setting up a Raspberry Pi for Astro Imaging and Hardware Control

Yes, an RPi just for focussing would be overkill, I agree.  With mine the focussing is just one little part of several.  Imaging, dew heater and mount control too.

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

Yes, an RPi just for focussing would be overkill, I agree.  With mine the focussing is just one little part of several.  Imaging, dew heater and mount control too.

I would love to see this. Sounds very interesting! 

Great initiative, @TheMrGecko. Since we seem to be sharing DIY motorfocusers here, here's mine. SW dc motorfocuser on Arduino running the MoonLite protocol. I just run the standard MoonLite driver under INDI and do autofocusing from Ekos/Kstars under windows. It has worked pretty much faultfree (as long as I don't forget to connect the power plug to the Arduino). It's not as neat a solution as a stepper with absolute positioning, but it works.

Btw, how will the rubber band behave in cold weather? That may be the weak link, if temperatures decide to drop well below 0. "Up here" I wouldn't rely on it (at -15 C), but maybe that's not an issue for you.

Archived