Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ITMA - oacapture 1.2.0

JamesF

Yes, it's that moment again...  oacapture 1.2.0 is now available.

Mostly a bugfix release, this, but there are a few notable changes such as the upgrade to the 0.6.0901 release of the ASI SDK, some Spanish translations and a complete re-write of the camera control management internally, which should be for the most part invisible to the user but unfortunately will mean that saved camera control settings will be lost.  In all just under eighty issues have been cleared up with this release.

Ubuntu 17.04 and 17.10 and MacOS "High Sierra" should be supported but have had very little testing.  One issue I am aware of with both Ubuntu 17.x releases is that Point Grey GigE cameras are not supported because their libraries won't install.  That will have to wait for Point Grey to release a new version.

Downloads from the downloads page.

Work on 1.3.0 will start very soon, one of the high priority issues being to move to the ASI v2 interface as the v1 interface is no longer supported.  Our very own "furrysocks2" has contributed changes recently, so I need to get those incorporated too.

James

Oh, I forgot...

On Intel Linux platforms Toupcam cameras should now be supported.  Altair cameras will also work on both Intel Linux and MacOS, but I can't really support them out of the box because it would involve distributing their own software too.  I can explain how to go about making them work if anyone wants to try though.  That's probably also true of Mallincam cameras, and Toupcam cameras on OSX.

James

Thanks Dave.  Much appreciated.  Testing is becoming an ever increasing nightmare, so feedback from real users is very helpful.

If your forecast is anything like ours though, the next sunny day might be quite some time off :(

James

As it happens, I've spent the past two nights in the observatory now that it's cool enough to use it again for a few months. The new release of oaCapture came at a very opportune time, as I have used 1.1.0 extensively the past two nights.

After installing the Ubuntu 14.04 Debian package on my Mint 17.3 machine, I had to take if for a spin since the sky is again clear here in the Sonoran Desert tonight. The ROI controls are much more straightforward (even if the "Use ROI" button appears now to be extraneous :-) and it's good to see the EXPTIME record in FITS headers, as this saves me a post-processing step.

Having corresponded with James extensively over the past couple of years, I know that he has put a tremendous amount of time and effort into oaCapture. All of us who use his software owe him a debt of gratitude for taking on a very substantial task and staying with it over a long period of time.

-- Mike --

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, tipping down here so just having a play with Oacapture.

Can't get it to fit on the screen, MBP 13" it either hangs off the bottom or the side, if I downsize it the toolbar goes behind the main window.

Tried some of the tool bar settings but only made it worse.

Couple of screenshots to demonstrate.

Dave

59fdbb813667a_ScreenShot2017-11-04at12_54_31.thumb.png.71c9eb663b9016f19c5ef633e8c958ab.png

59fdbb84ed50a_ScreenShot2017-11-04at12_54_46.thumb.png.8ab9364222b0008eaaa3d3fad7c4e020.png

36 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Might be worth trying the option to split the controls into a separate window?

I tried that but got in a bit of a mess with it and made it worse, they're still either in front or behind the main window.

Could just alter the resolution on Windows, don't know what I can do on the MBP.

Dave

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I tried that but got in a bit of a mess with it and made it worse, they're still either in front or behind the main window.

Could just alter the resolution on Windows, don't know what I can do on the MBP.

Dave

System Prefs > Display > Set resolution to "scaled" instead of "default for display", and set it towards the right = increase resolution. To the left = decrease resolution. (effectively)

16 minutes ago, Marci said:

System Prefs > Display > Set resolution to "scaled" instead of "default for display", and set it towards the right = increase resolution. To the left = decrease resolution. (effectively)

Only got 3 settings, it's already on 1280 X 800 no way to increase it.

Dave

Archived