NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heq5 and polar alignment

Am I doing this wrong ?

when polar aligning for my heq5 I find my body bent double looking through the polar scope... or to the point where I have to slide under the scope and sit up... which on a cold / damp night is not comfortable.

how do people do this ?? Or do I need to loosen up a bit ? :)

I have one of these:

https://www.green-witch.com/skywatcher-eq5heq5-tripod-extension-pillar.html

Raises the mount by quite a bit so I just have to crouch down. I usually use a flat cardboard box if I'n kneeling. I just quickly center polaris in the polar scope and then polar align with Sharpcap any way, so the crouching down is kept to a minimum.

I'm quite a flexible person so I star aligning or focusing when the scopes near the zenith  is entertaining..ive never owned a polar scope so can't really comment but if you find it uncomfortable then I'd advise on sharpcap..i use it for its accuracy..awesome

You have one of two or three options:

1. Drift alignment so you don't need to look at that d... polar scope.

2. Get a Polemaster, i have one for sale brand new but i offered it locally only, and it is included an adapter for the mount, i doubt it is compatible with your mount, it is for EQ6 mounts, also you won't look at that polar scope because the PM is becoming like a polar scope and an eye for you.

3. Try to use compass and point your mount to the North and roughly you may get closer to Polaris or that NCP and you will be fine for some short not very long exposures, i did that and it was just fine.

Archived