Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 for Kelling Heath star party

red dwalf

Images like that are stunning.  It clearly fills the frame what sort of magnification does that entail?  Is it enhanced or zoomed in on a computer? (it must be???)  Could a visual observer ever hope to see something (albeit fainter) at a similar size scale relative to the frame in their visual telescope?

i was using an Atik 460 mono camera with a William Optics gt 81 fitted with a 0.8 reducer, with the reducer fitted this makes the scope a very short focal length but using my camera which doesn`t have a massive chip i still can`t get all of M31 in to the frame, it`s such a large target, this image was slightly cropped to remove some processing artefacts, this is the thing about imaging i like, no way would you be able to see such detail and M31 true size with an average visual scope. i have used Photoshop CS3 and Startools to process the image which does allow me to bring out the fainter edges of the galaxy.       

Archived