SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon, Venus, Mars, Mercury in 1968 Russian (CCCP) Binos

This morning, just after 6am, the sky was crystal clear to the horizon. Looking out of the bedroom windows the crescent Moon and Venus looked brilliant. I decided to use my old Russian (CCCP) 7x50 binoculars which I bought in July 1968 for £15.15s 0d. Moving down from Venus I saw Regulus and further still the Planets Mars and Mercury in close conjunction.

It was really great to see these 3 planets plus a lovely crescent Moon all in a line.

I attach a photo of my old Binos for anyone interested in vintage equipment.

BINOS.CCCP.JPG

binos001.jpg

What a nice way to start your day Mark. Clear morning skies up here in the far north 
have been pretty rare of late, much cloud and rain predominating, very disappointing.
I only hope the winter months bring better conditions for Astronomy. We live in hope.
Never owned any Russian binoculars myself, but their reputation for Optics is way up there.

Ron - I don't use these binos that often but I have fond memories of when I bought them - see receipt below. It was the first holiday that I had with my fiancee (now wife) - with her parents in 1968.

In the last hour I have tried to find more information on them. I think they are Zomz (Kronos) but someone may have more info than me.

binos002.jpg

2 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Well the Russian lettering says 'BPV1' on the left and 'ZOMZ' on the right.  (GCE Russian Grade A in 1976 don't you know.) I have seen BPV binoculars before from the 1930s.

Chris thanks very much. Very impressed especially advising that ZOMZ is the meaning on the right. It has taken 49 years to be made aware of that.

Archived