SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help needed with W10 Remote Desktop

Skipper Billy

Thanks guys - SUCCESS !!!!

I created a new account on the slave pc and the master logged in first time !!!

Its MUCH better than Teamviewer !!!

My next dim network question is - how do I lose the wireless connection and use a LAN cable to connect the two PC's for a more robust connection ??

I have got the cable and no idea !!

12 minutes ago, iapa said:

Let me take a couple of hours tomorrow to put some thing together.

Thanks Iain - thats really kind of you but thankfully not required.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on where everything is physically located.

is the BT hub in the same room as your ;’controlling’’ PC 

if not I have you run a cable direct to the PC or ???

a wee pic perhaps?, not of the kit itself but more a line diag showing what connects to what.

Just plug both LAN cables (obsy and house PC) in to your router/switch.  It should use a LAN in advance of Wifi.  If you want wifi off just turn it off.

As I've said before, if you lose power to your router it is likely that your DHCP server will assign a new IP address to your obsy, so your RDP connection won't work until you find the newly assigned IP and change this in your RDP settings.  You should set it as a fixed IP or reserve it for the obsy.

2 minutes ago, Stroller said:

In your opening post you said that you already have a CAT 6 cable running into the Obs.  What do you have connected on the end of that CAT 6?

Nothing at the moment on either end. In the past I have used it for a USB to CAT6 converter with its matching CAT6/USB into the home pc. I am toying with using a NUC at the pier remotely controlled so I can do away with the USB hub that plugs into the USB/Cat6 coverter - I am just proving teh system on the dining table at the moment ! 

I would like to lose the wireless link i have at the moment and use the cable for a more robust connection.

4 minutes ago, iapa said:

Depends on where everything is physically located.

is the BT hub in the same room as your ;’controlling’’ PC 

if not I have you run a cable direct to the PC or ???

The BT hub is very near to the indoor pc

The cable to the obsy will also reach the hub

So I need to use the BT hub as a connector ???

Would I be better with a separate device instead of using the BT hub??

1 minute ago, RayD said:

As I've said before, if you lose power to your router it is likely that your DHCP server will assign a new IP address to your obsy, so your RDP connection won't work until you find the newly assigned IP and change this in your RDP settings.  You should set it as a fixed IP or reserve it for the obsy.

My guess is that the BT hub is the DHCP server.

no offence to OP , but I doubt he has set up a separate DHCP server at the moment ( maybe we can talk him though that to improve resilience tho’)

?

lets get real techie on his **** lol

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

Thanks Ray - I am listening but will have to research on how to do this as I have no idea how to do it :-)

As RayD said, CAT6 House end into either a switch if you have one or your Router if it has spare sockets.   Other end at the Obs into the remote PC there.  Either way, in the Switch or the Router, reserve/permanently assign an IP address to the Remote PC and you should be away. BTW just turn of/disconnect the WiFi at the Obs if you don't want it on.

Rgds, Chris

3 minutes ago, iapa said:

no offence to OP , but I doubt he has set up a separate DHCP server at the moment ( maybe we can talk him though that to improve resilience tho’)

?

lets get real techie on his **** lol

:-) Like it, I'm up for that!

Just now, Skipper Billy said:

The BT hub is very near to the indoor pc

The cable to the obsy will also reach the hub

So I need to use the BT hub as a connector ???

Would I be better with a separate device instead of using the BT hub??

Personally, I would always add a hardware network firewall between any ISP’s hub and my internal network*

not completely straight forward - let’s skip that just now ?

So, for the time being I would plug the Ethernet cable for the pier PC into the BT hub.

* if you read the Ts &Cs from most ISPs, they say that they will scan your home network ‘to improve services provided’.

Just now, iapa said:

My guess is that the BT hub is the DHCP server.

Exactly my point.  There is nothing stopping the router assigning a new IP address to the obsy PC unless the IP is fixed or reserved.  Unless you look on the router at the DHCP allocation table you won't know what IP the obsy PC has been assigned, so what IP address to put in your RDP settings.

Good practice for a fixed machine is to assign it an IP address outside the range of the DHCP server (router in this case) so the IP on that machine will never change no matter what the DHCP server does. 

4 minutes ago, Stroller said:

As RayD said, CAT6 House end into either a switch if you have one or your Router if it has spare sockets.   Other end at the Obs into the remote PC there.  Either way, in the Switch or the Router, reserve/permanently assign an IP address to the Remote PC and you should be away. BTW just turn of/disconnect the WiFi at the Obs if you don't want it on.

Rgds, Chris

No instructions to set a fixed IP on a BT hub?

Disappointed ? 

1 minute ago, RayD said:

You don't fix the IP on the hub, you fix it on the machine.

If you go to the DHCP settings on the hub, which is the DHCP server, you are better setting a static allocation for the machine to prevent duplicate IP address allocations from the DHCP server which can occur if TTL has expired and the PC is switched off.

also alows setting of the machine NETBIOS name so it can be accessed  from anywhere on that network by name rather than needing to remember the IP address.

but, you already know this don’t  you :) :icon_salut:

I don't use a BT hub, too restrictive I've heard. And yes, I don't trust any Firewall in a Router, especially BT and them also having a 'Open' Wireless Hotspot in them. 

5 minutes ago, iapa said:

Personally, I would always add a hardware network firewall between any ISP’s hub and my internal network*

Totally agree iapa, I use a Watchguard Firewall straight after the Router and before my Switch.

Billy, as RayD says most simple way for you at themoment is to set your preferred Adress in your network settings a the Obs PC.

Instead of having this:

Capture.JPG.a1502b16e0fcedca34fb14340788f505.JPG

Select these buttons and enter your in-house network details, similar to what is shown here:

Capture1.JPG.850d17e3e79b63b73a5c3527dca6eae0.JPG

4 minutes ago, iapa said:

If you go to the DHCP settings on the hub, which is the DHCP server, you are better setting a static allocation for the machine to prevent duplicate IP address allocations from the DHCP server which can occur if TTL has expired and the PC is switched off.

also alows setting of the machine NETBIOS name so it can be accessed  from anywhere on that network by name rather than needing to remember the IP address.

but, you already know this don’t  you :) :icon_salut:

That's not a fixed IP it's a reserved IP and is exactly why I referred to the choice of each, but what do I know?

1 minute ago, Stroller said:

I don't use a BT hub, too restrictive I've heard. And yes, I don't trust any Firewall in a Router, especially BT and them also having a 'Open' Wireless Hotspot in them. 

Totally agree iapa, I use a Watchguard Firewall straight after the Router and before my Switch.

Billy, as RayD says most simple way for you at themoment is to set your preferred Adress in your network settings a the Obs PC.

Instead of having this:

Capture.JPG.a1502b16e0fcedca34fb14340788f505.JPG

Select these buttons and enter your in-house network details, similar to what is shown here:

Capture1.JPG.850d17e3e79b63b73a5c3527dca6eae0.JPG

I would still go for a static allocation via DHCP server - per my prior.

1 minute ago, iapa said:

I think I will step back at the moment as there are more ‘votes’ for a locally assigned IP address than for DHCP server allocation.

Either will work fine, and is why I suggested either, but the benefit of a fixed IP on the machine is you can swap out routers without having to reconfigure anything.

More than one way to do things as I'm often reminded of on here.

Guys, I don't mind which way Billy ends up doing it.  Merits in both and both can be done anyway. I'm only thinking what is the quickest and most simplest way for Billy to do it and see results right now (I'm guessing that he would like to see immediate results).   Then do a follow up in slow time to do either way or both. :-)

Archived