NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Checkout Cassini on SkySafari

Stu

3 hours ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Very cool. I didnt realise you could track Cassini. I have SF5 Pro and it works with that too. 

Yes, this was with SkySafari 5 Pro. Not sure if it is available on the other versions but worth checking. 

12 minutes ago, Paul M said:

But anyway, I'm concerned about Cassini. Does it use SatNav? I mean look at that loop on August 27th. Missed Saturn by a million miles.... :evil4::evil6:

Clearly it does Paul and was told to 'make a U-Turn as soon as possible' ;)

It is quite interesting to run through it as an animation as you then see Saturn's path alongside that of Cassini.

Right, I'm having fun with Cassini and SkySafari.

I've got it in orbit mode and time stepping at 10min interval per frame which produces a very nice animation of the close encounters and ultimate plunge. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is anyway to generate a video file for sharing.

Some of the PC based packages I've had over the years did allow that. 

Edit: here's a pretty screen shot of Cassini silhouetted against Saturn's rings. Ignoring the ultimate fate, what a journey that would be for a passenger!

1504652302831.thumb.jpg.940e85de26cbfa00a36a615960df3d57.jpg

Archived