Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan V4 work on older AZEQ6 with V3 ?

Ewan

Hi,

I've had my AZEQ6-GT for a few years now & the handset is on 3.33 (could be 3.35 not used for a while), the newly sold AZEQ6's come with Synscan V4 handset.

Can I update the V3 Handset with the V4's firmware or do you have to buy a new handset ?

I am guessing you can update but don't want to 'brick' the controller so wondered if anyone else has tried this & is it worth doing or leave well alone ?

Atb

Ewan

12 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The v4 firmware is incompatible with v3 handsets.

Thanks Peter, but I take it a V4 Handset would work fine with my mount if I bought one ?

Do you know if it would be worth doing anyway as I use EQMod when I do guiding

Atb

Ewan

Quote from Astro-Baby Website:
http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6 rebuild guide/EQ6 Development and Software Releases.htm

POINTS TO NOTE ABOUT THE CHANGE FROM V3 TO V4 HAND CONTROLLER

1. Unlike the V3 handset the V4 has no DC power input socket so it cannot be powered stand alone from the mount.
    It must be connected to a mount that has power in order to operate.

2. The V3 and V4 hand controllers are interoperable on any Skywatcher/Orion GoTo system that uses the GoTo hand controller.

3. The V4 hand controller is NOT firmware compatible with the V3 hand controller. Skywatcher will provide firmware
    updates for BOTH V3 AND V4 handcontrollers in the future as the requirements for upgrades arise.

BE AWARE THAT THE FIRMWARE LOADERS AND FOIRMWARE SETS ARE DIFFERENT
    AND ENSURE YOU LOAD ONLY THE CORRECT V4 OR V4 UPDATES.

4. There is no need for existing V3 users to consider V4 as an upgrade. Functionality is not upgraded
    (although there are some slight differences between the two hand controllers). However any users with
    a broken/damaged V3 hand controller will have no choice but to move to a V4 hand controller as the
    V3 hand contreoller is now no longer available.

5. Seperate manuals/user guides are available for each handcontroller from the Skywatcher site.

Cheers

Tom

Archived