Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"Swan", "Bow tie" and "Cat's eye".

cotterless45

A light haze didn't look promising , but gave surprising results. Seeing was absolutely spot on .
M17 ,"Swan nebula", lovely sight with the Swan sitting on its pond. Even visible without the Oiii filter. 
NGC 188 in Cepheus, "the ancient  one" , some sight of our oldest open cluster, way above the galactic plane. Xi Cephei (Kurhah), white with a blue companion.
IC4756 ("Graff's cluster") in Serpens , a huge view at x30. 
M2 , way below M15, I put x150 on this spectacular globular. It resolves with sparkly foreground stars. 
NGC 6543 ("Cat's eye nebula"), so very bright, took up to x200 to get a lighter core. Σ1878 in Draco, a lovely delicate binary with a whisper of a companion. 
Epsilon Arietis challenging at 1.4", but split cleanly , showing how good the seeing was. 
M76 , which looked better without filters , as did the "bow tie " of NGC 40. 
NGC 7009, the "Saturn nebula" looked lovely with the filter, although shaped , little sign of the arms. 
NGC 6946 ("fireworks galaxy") , once again , no show , the milkiness of humidity taking away contrast of these fainter treasures. 
A great night for some meandering and lingering around the sky, clear skies !

Nick.IMG_5136.thumb.JPG.27485578c53995200fbc8c07212e4a0e.JPGIMG_5137.thumb.JPG.6e6c989acae514fa8d7eafe408431d65.JPGYou_Doodle_2017-08-29T06_26_41Z.thumb.jpg.d588754db2eed32b9ba7ce8138643174.jpg

Nice report Nick. Well done! :) I saw NGC40 for the first time last night, along with NGC278 in Cassiopeia, NGC7331 in Pegasus, M102 in Draco, NGC404 in Andromeda,  NGC7027 in Cygnus, plus a couple of other galaxies I never noted down (D'oh!). Pretty good conditions, even with a very slight haze in some parts of the sky. Was only out for an hour so didn't spend too long on each object. Hope to get some longer views next time, especially on the bow tie.

Great report Nick, I will have to look for the "Bow Tie" not saw that yet. Can you remember the object we saw in Buxton in my 8" which you were delighted to see it I think you said only ever saw it once before been racking my brains. I did think it was NGC 188 "The Ancient One" but not sure.

Paul

4 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Great report Nick, I will have to look for the "Bow Tie" not saw that yet. Can you remember the object we saw in Buxton in my 8" which you were delighted to see think you said only ever saw it once before been racking my brains. I did think it was NGC 188 "The Ancient One" but not sure.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't remember what they've viewed before Doug! I must start keeping a quick note of what I see with date and time. ;) 

Archived