Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Old afocal image

Albireo380

Here is an old afocal image taken by my friend Malcom and I some months ago. We used his Canon A80, attached to my Meade LX90, with (I think) a 26mm plossl). We were just playing around, trying to see how easy / difficult it would be to do a reasonable image of Mare Imbrium area. We were pleasantly surprised how well it turned out. The attached pic is a merging of 2 shots, giving a slightly wider area covered.

Hope you enjoy

Tom

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. But as I said, we were just playing around with the kit we had to hand. As I don't have a good "point and shoot" digital camera, I have been trying to replicate (or even improve) on this with my Canon A20 - but to no avail. It just doesn't seem happy mated to an EP using the BC&F attachment thingy (technical term - don't worry if you don't understand it). It has got to the stage that I don't do afocal any more - got so frustrated with out of focus vignetting. So, QUESTION

What do you suggest for the bracket that mates the camera to the EP?

What is a good (cheap if possible - I am not Scottish for nothing) digital camera for afocal?

Am I in fantasy land, or would a camera that takes perhaps 30 seconds of movies be useful - could I then Registax the frames together - or is this cloud cuckoo land?

Tom

What is a good (cheap if possible - I am not Scottish for nothing) digital camera for afocal?

I would reccomend the Coolpix 4500 or Coolpix 995, these cameras have a small lens and have an internal thread for attaching scopetronix eyepiece's to them hence no vigereting. The CP4500 will prob cost you between 180 and 250 quid secondhand and the CP995 around 80 to 150quid, only differance the cp4500 has 4m pixels as apposed to 3.1m and the cp4500 has 5 min bulb time were as the cp995 has 1min or 30secs i cant remember which...

James :laugh:

PS:They both have movie modes but at 320x300 resolution :laugh:

Archived