Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Place for Dark Skies in Crete?

Hello everyone,

I hope this is in the right place, if not then please feel free to move it.  I'm really just looking for the best place to see the milkyway in Crete.  I'm not an astronomer by any stretch of the imagination.  Truth be told I don't think I've ever seen the stars properly like I see in so many breathtaking photos of the milkyway, if I did it was when I was very young.  Seeing the stars properly like that is on my bucketlist.  Anyway, I'm going to Crete in September and I will be staying in Chania so if anyone can reccommend a place near there for dark skies where I can see the milkyway with naked eyes then that would be great, thanks.

Thanks so much for that it's much more useful than the map I was looking at.  Is there anything else I should look out for or is it just a case of going on a clear night, which is presumably most of the time in Crete.

Clear skies and as far from city-lights and any other lights is about all you should know! You could look into any astronomy-groups in the area on Crete. You could ask them where they think is the best. And you might even look into joining them if they have a night they meet outdoors with some telescopes - and you'll be there then. I realize you've said you're not an astronomer (No one's perfect! :D - sorry! Could not resist!), but that might change after a good look at the majestic beauty shown by the Milky Way spread out like a fantastic carpet of jewels!

Let us know what happens? It's nice to have you join us!

Starry Skies,

Dave

• 1 month later...

Chania is at the northern end and all along the north coast there are lots of holiday places, and that mean lights. If you can get inland in the mountainous areas, you will see some stunning skies. I went to Crete a few years ago and stayed down the south east coast side where it is less populated and it was spectacular. I managed to take a little StarAdventurer for my DSLR to take some milky way pictures and they came out amazing (to me). 2 weeks and not a single cloud. Setting up in shorts and t-shirt - epic.

Milky Way Core.jpg

Archived