Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moravian G2-8300 FW

Hello everyone, 

After two long unpleasant experiences of trying to get a used QSI 683, I decided to give up and go with Moravian G2 8300. 

It made a lot of sense, since it's new, it's made in Europe and it's cheaper. But there seems to be some issues that I don't understand and I hope you can help out, as researching  on my own didn't prove fruitful.  

Does the internal 5 position filter wheel take 1.25 filters? The slots seems to be 2 in the pictures. Any link?  

I wrote an email to Teleskop-Express asking if there will be any specific spacing needed for my SW 80 ED with flattener/reducer, but they have not replied yet. 

link to the camera;

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4185_Moravian-Mono-CCD-Camera-G2-8300---Sensor--D-22-7-mm---5-4--m-with-filter-wheel.html

Thanks in advance 

I did answer your very questions in another thread :) 

1.25" filter - yes. I have a 1.25" carousel in my filter wheel. You probably need to specify when you order.

Spacing - I believe that for the ED80 spacing is 55mm......so you will need that space between the rear optical element and the mark that is on the Moravian showing where the sensor is in the box.... and you nee dto take into account filters...... but I can't remember (nor understand) whether you add space in for them or subtract) 

42 minutes ago, swag72 said:

but I can't remember (nor understand) whether you add space in for them or subtract)

You would need to add, so if the required spacing for the FF is 55mm, and you have Baader filters, then you would space at 55.7mm.  However, the tolerances of the equipment means you wouldn't be far out at 55mm, then trial and error from there on in.

Thanks Sara! I read that thread. 

43 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I have a 1.25" carousel in my filter wheel.

Does that mean that the slots inside the filter wheel are 1.25 in size? 

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

You would need to add, so if the required spacing for the FF is 55mm, and you have Baader filters, then you would space at 55.7mm.  However, the tolerances of the equipment means you wouldn't be far out at 55mm, then trial and error from there on in.

And does that mean I have to get a 7mm spacer? I am sorry but I don't understand how spacing functions. 

Just now, Firas said:

And does that mean I have to get a 7mm spacer? I am sorry but I don't understand how spacing functions. 

I don't know what the distance is from the fitting surface to the sensor on the Moravian, sorry.  This information should be in your manual for the camera, but as Sarah noted before, you definitely need to check to see what the required distance is for your selected FF.  Once you know this, see what the distance is from the mating surface of your camera to the sensor surface, deduct the lower from the higher figure, and the remainder is the size of spacer required.  If the nearest available size is slightly smaller, that's good as it gives you a little space to add shims, as to get the spacing exact can take a little tweaking, so you may need some shims, such as the delrin ones sold by FLO.

It's a nice camera you have, I've seen mostly very good reports.

Thanks for the reply Ray! 

I haven't bought the camera yet as i am trying to find out what the pieces required so I don't have to order again. (Not sure that is possible given the complication) 

The distance seems to be 29mm and I have the skywatcher .85x Flattener/Reducer. 

moravian-g2-ccd-camera-backfocus-internal-fw.jpg.042adb8a7db3f95593d64afa69e7d6ff.jpg

Are these the delrin you mentioned? Maybe it's wise to get them. They come in three different sizes and I could just experiment until focus is reached! 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-t2-delrin-spacer-ring-set.html

15 hours ago, Firas said:

Thanks for the reply Ray! 

I haven't bought the camera yet as i am trying to find out what the pieces required so I don't have to order again. (Not sure that is possible given the complication) 

The distance seems to be 29mm and I have the skywatcher .85x Flattener/Reducer. 

Are these the delrin you mentioned? Maybe it's wise to get them. They come in three different sizes and I could just experiment until focus is reached! 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-t2-delrin-spacer-ring-set.html

Ok that's great.  So on the front of this you will now have some sort of adaptor, which may or may not come with the camera.  Can you post a link to, or picture of, which FF/FR you have, as the thread size may dictate what adaptor you need, so therefore what spacing you need to make up?

adapter_skywatcher_focal_reducer.JPG.72f517a24caaa15ab086a86e507329eb.JPG

This is it. The camera does come with TA-M45 S Adapter if not specified. The issue is primarily with the back of the reducer and the spacing separating it from the face of the camera. 

Archived