NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

polar align

Message added by Stu

Please keep this thread civil and stick to the CoC.

Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

The problem is Olly that a TAK polarscope wont fit a star adventurer or EQ3 so we have to get the mount level to get close.

Alan

Nope. I do wonder why, though, Tak got it right and (almost) every other maker got it wrong. The Vixen Atlux uses the Tak system. In fact it will be more expensive to make because, to work, it needs a precision polarscope and the polarscope has two components, like a planisphere. You set the time on one bezel against the date on the other, the global orientation of the planisphere controlled by the bubble level on the time zone offset. (Not by levelling the mount.) The idea is pure genius for the mobile imager. You can get 30 minute subs after two minutes aligning.

Oly

12 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Sure. I never see disagreement as a source for conflict. Debate is healthy and good.

Olly

You Sir, are ridiculous.

Well proven here.

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Nope. I do wonder why, though, Tak got it right and (almost) every other maker got it wrong. The Vixen Atlux uses the Tak system. In fact it will be more expensive to make because, to work, it needs a precision polarscope and the polarscope has two components, like a planisphere. You set the time on one bezel against the date on the other, the global orientation of the planisphere controlled by the bubble level on the time zone offset. (Not by levelling the mount.) The idea is pure genius for the mobile imager. You can get 30 minute subs after two minutes aligning.

Oly

This is an area where a convergence of technology could work wonders for the grab and go widefield brigade, my DSLR has a horizontal level so a polarscope with a sensor and a bit of digital trickery could make this operation a simple and quick task.

Alan

• Ant locked this topic

Archived