Help required as to what these are.

alan potts

First up a 2 inch diagonal that looks like a Williams Optic but is not.

DPP_0492.thumb.JPG.69187cd46de0b139f2d6353a0fce316f.JPG

Secondly I am not sure what this is but it appears to be 2 inch fitting and to me looks like an odd shaped 2-1.25 reducer, it also has a small thread for a set screw.

DPP_0493.thumb.JPG.6384a97ddc31a4fecdd7ba159d32902d.JPG

Lastly just have no idea other than it appears to be two inch but the thread is larger than that of a diagonal sleeve.

DPP_0494.thumb.JPG.9bb8ed0ec00b0328d0f468328ec008d4.JPG

Any help would be gratefully received. these are from a load of gear that someone has come by years ago, also includes a nice TMB 130mm Lzos F6 with cell No 87, wanted to tell him it was worth about 100 quid but didn't.

Many thanks Alan.

I have the same (maybe?) adapter as is in the middle photo. And I've been wondering the same. I did a crawl through my files to see if I can find an ID on that and, just now - the logo on the 2" 90° Diagonal. Nothing yet - but this has piqued my curiosity!

I'll keep hunting, Alan - and will certainly notify of any findings. Otherwise, I'll be checking back. I want to know where mine flew in from.

All the best,

Dave

46 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

The last item you show, is off a Meade Zero Image Shift focuser and is a Male SCT thread to 2” Adapter.... :)

Many thank LightBucket, there is a fair bit of kit and one of the items is a LX200R 8 inch with a focuser that you state, mine is without this device which I personally do not like.

Alan

10 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Many thank LightBucket, there is a fair bit of kit and one of the items is a LX200R 8 inch with a focuser that you state, mine is without this device which I personally do not like.

Alan

I like the Meade 1209 Zero Image Shift focuser, I dont have one for my 10”  SCT  let me know if you want to sell it.... :)

It isn't mine to sell but I can ask. I told them this scope whilst expensive new it not worth a great deal secondhand in relation to its cost new, at best 33%. I believe they wish to keep this for a look now and then. However at the moment I feel the scope is not working due to a cable problem to the handset. It is possible to remove the Zero shift and still use the scope but I would need to check it worked correctly first if I were to be the inbetween for a site member.

Alan

The diagonal looks like a generic chinese diagonal which appears under many different brandings around the world. Probably decent quality but I don't recognise the logo on it :dontknow:

As for the other things, I really don't know. My Dad would have called them "conversation pieces", a name which he coined for everything when he was not sure what it was !

The diagonal is most certainly made by Synta (I believe) rather than GSO based on the curved eyepiece receiver.  However, I've don't recall ever seeing that logo before.  I'm guessing it's European rather than American.

Perhaps the middle one is some sort of low profile 2" to 1.25" adapter?  I can't say that I recognize it, though.

Louis D

14 hours ago, Louis D said:

The diagonal is most certainly made by Synta (I believe) rather than GSO based on the curved eyepiece receiver.  However, I've don't recall ever seeing that logo before.  I'm guessing it's European rather than American.

Perhaps the middle one is some sort of low profile 2" to 1.25" adapter?  I can't say that I recognize it, though.

The logo is new to me as well and I have seen a few. I believe you are correct with the other piece as there is a hole for a set screw which is missing, many thanks.

10 hours ago, alan potts said:

Louis D

The logo is new to me as well and I have seen a few. I believe you are correct with the other piece as there is a hole for a set screw which is missing, many thanks.

I stand corrected.  That diagonal is apparently made by Long Perng rather than Synta.  Check out the logo on the new 80 degree eyepieces they're selling through Orion.  Apparently, someone bought some manufacturer logo'ed units and resold them.  It was probably was cheaper that way rather than having them made with a custom logo.  I'm guessing the logo is a stylized LP.  They are Taiwanese rather than Chinese just like GSO.

I believe the way it works is that if you commission enough units, you get to have your logo put on them. If your order is below that, you take them as the manufacturer brands them.

The first adapter is an ultra-low profile adapter.  That type of 1.25" to 2" adapter usually has a setscrew in it to hold the eyepiece because there is no screw above the

adapter insertion barrel.

The second adapter is a 2" to SCT thread adapter to allow the use of a focal reducer threaded onto the adapter when a rear-mounted focuser

is used on an SCT, primarily for imaging.  It is important to have the focal reducer there instead of in front of the focuser so the reduction is not too extreme.

14 hours ago, Louis D said:

I stand corrected.  That diagonal is apparently made by Long Perng rather than Synta.  Check out the logo on the new 80 degree eyepieces they're selling through Orion.  Apparently, someone bought some manufacturer logo'ed units and resold them.  It was probably was cheaper that way rather than having them made with a custom logo.  I'm guessing the logo is a stylized LP.  They are Taiwanese rather than Chinese just like GSO.

It's an interesting one as this seems to have showed up 10 years ago in Austria which is where I am told they were bought, none are actually mine.

Alan

6 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

The first adapter is an ultra-low profile adapter.  That type of 1.25" to 2" adapter usually has a setscrew in it to hold the eyepiece because there is no screw above the

adapter insertion barrel.

The second adapter is a 2" to SCT thread adapter to allow the use of a focal reducer threaded onto the adapter when a rear-mounted focuser

is used on an SCT, primarily for imaging.  It is important to have the focal reducer there instead of in front of the focuser so the reduction is not too extreme.

Many thanks Don, knew you would know. The set screw is missing which made it that bit more difficult. As you say the other part was off the back of a Meade focuser that is fitted to a LX200R that is in the collection of items. It has been onteresting going through stuff that I have never seen before like some of the eyepieces, mine all have what they are on the side in green.

Alan

Archived