Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strip and regrease a Bresser mount ?

Rooster

Hi folks,

Looking for some guide lines on stripping and re-greasing my recently acquired 'scope mount...

Its a Bresser "Uranus" 102mm and the grease is like GLUE... horrible and sticky :shock:

So, how do I get it apart ? what grease to use ? what to use a degreasent ?

Thanks

Paul

bresser%20URANUS.jpg

I used petol to get the grease off my mount gears. Regreased with white lithiun grease, (tube not spray can) sourced from a local bike shop.

Getting it apart? don't know for that mount - however, lots of pictures en route will help you get it back together!

Anthony

...well I'm a "doing" sort of guy, so last night I took apart what I thought was the "hard" bit ! (RA) and it was full of HORRIBLE stuff - never had any SO sticky on my hands, closest I can compare it to is half dried evo-stick !

So, petrol and paintbrush does away with the old, Halfords bike grease with "Teflon" provides the new...

Glad to know that you managed a regrease and reassembly of your EQ, Rooster. My own quick-fix method might not have been a suitable choice for your own EQ, seeing that it's a bigger spec than mine, which came with an astigmatic 70mm SKYLUX refractor from Lidl.

The grease the Chinese use in these mountings is weird, but as long as it stays inside the EQ it doesn't bother me.

As you know, some people take their EQs apart for regreasing only to find that they don't know how to reassemble them.

I beleive that the "Grease" that the chinese use is designed to last for a long time and still lubricate. The long life feature is the cause of the glue like effect.

So if you replace with better stuff - that isn't glue like - you will have to relube much more often - I would certainly recommend a yearly check on the replacement lube.

Good job though - not something that I've attempted.

Ant

Well, last night the house STANK of petrol ! - next time I will need to find a more "woman friendly" solvent ! LOL (this was despite doing the mucky stuff outside)

Anyone wanting to tackle this, its a LOT easier than some folk would have you believe, but a digital camera is a good "piece of mind" ... and watch for that old grease "sticks to a blanket" isnt the phrase ! :sad7: It was a job to remove it from my hands - so wear old clothes !

Heres a few pix...

Before cleaning... just stripped

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

before3.jpg

And after the clean......

after.jpg

after2.jpg

Sorry about the junk in the background... all my hobbies seem to collect in my "shack" !! lol :D

• 3 years later...

Archived