Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

At last my grab n go kit is ready!

6 hours ago, Starobserver said:

Hi there,

I have a question about the Ayo and the OO 6-inch. I ordered the AYO II and was wondering which OO6 inch you have on the mount. Is it the f/5 ?  And do you keep clear of the tripod-legs with the scope. I ask this because I am still strugling about what scope to use with the AYO II. A newtonian or a cassegrain-type....   anyway, maybe you can give me some info on your setup. Looks fantastic.

Cheers

Mat

Hello Mat 

It is indeed an OOUK 150mm F5.

For my height I normally set the scope to just miss the tripod, so the rings are moved very near to the focusser, and the scope is mounted central on the dovetail. I did get some extra clearance when I added a clamp to the other side which helps. So depending how tall you are might affect where you position the scope, I am 1.78 and find when the scope is mounted to just miss the tripod and the M10 extension tube is attached (the config in the images) the focusser is in a really comfy position, not too much stooping over to observe. In essence though you cannot quite get the scope perfectly balanced but with RDF and EP in the weight is approx 5.5KG and the AYO is not troubled at all. Really nice smooth movements and you would never know the scope is slightly unbalanced. I have tested it with the scope 2 inches off the tripod, pretty much the same result. The AYO has a lot of wriggle room it seems when it comes to scope balancing. 

Hope this helps.

John 

Hi John, 

Thanks for your reply. It really helped me decide to order the 6 inch OO f/5. I was in doubt wether to buy a TS UNC 6 inch f/6 newton or the one from Orion Optics.  But in the end,  I already have a 12 inch orion optics dobson since 2006, with a really smashing image quality, I decided to go for Orion Optics again. I love to observe star clusters and the moon with the 12 inch OO but there are quite a few evenings when I want to get out quickly and just for an hour or so, and sometimes I also do not want the hassle of getting the 12 outside. So I was looking far a light-weight option, but with a good quality mount, telescope and setting circles. I ordered the Ayo already, and now the 6 inch orion will be added. I will also use my Argo Navis on the Ayo as well. And in the future I hope to add an 8 inch Cassegrain to it from TS in Germany.  This mainly for double star observing.   

Anyway, thanks again for your advice.  

Cheers

Math

Hi Math

Pleased the info helped you. Interesting you mention an 8 inch cassegrain on the other side, I'm looking at Maks for the same purpose, something that will be preferable for planets and doubles, probably in the 150mm range and would complement the newt very nicely. Were you considering the classic cassegrain or something like a C8? 

Have also been using the Argo more just lately, they are bullet proof.

I was considering the classic cassegrain.  I had a russian one, the TAL 200K. The views where very good but it was very heavy and it could only use 1.25 eyepieces. So a 150 or 200mm Cassegrain from TS in Germany would be an option. I prefer them over the C6 or C8 because they are an open system. This I guess speeds op cool down time and with you don't have so much problems with dew. 

I love viewing doubles, so these cassegrains would be good for this purpose.  The only thing I am worried about is the smaller field of view (maximum 1 degree) and the fact that you have to follow the object manually with the AYO. I will go to see a friend this winter who was a C11 on the AYO Digi, the bigger version of the AYO, and see how he manages things. He also uses the Argo Navis. What he told me is that he has the C11 on one side of the Ayo and a sort of "handle"  he made out of plastic pipes on the other side. He filled the pipes with sand and they have a double purpose, a counterweight and a handle to follow objects manually with the ayo. He could not follow stars or objects at higher magnifications by pushing and pulling the C11. But with the handle on the other side,  it would work very well. 

I will keep you updated on this.

Cheers

Math

Thats interesting as the TS CC 150mm caught my eye as well, the cool down should be comparable to a newt plus no image shift from the focusser as the primary is fixed. I'm not sure if anyone on here has got one but if you search on CN there are some favourable reviews. I don't know enough about doubles but have become more interested lately so am not sure if diffraction spikes would spoil the view of them. The central obstruction in the CC is a bit more than most standard Maks but it might be very marginal comparing the view. I think Beat  makes a handle for the AYO and in 2 different lengths but what I don't know is if you can fit the handle and still have the second clamp. The AOK site seems to be down from here at the moment. I would very interested to hear how your C11 friend gets on with high mags. I guess I could try my 9.25 from the Evolution on the AYO  with a wide scope to balance, might be worth investigating this winter.