SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

At last my grab n go kit is ready!

At last I now have all the parts for my new grab n go set up.

A bit of an international feel to this, telescope from England, tripod from Germany, Mount from Switzerland, flight management computer from Australia!

The tripod a Berlebach UNI18 I have had for a while, but upgraded to the central spreader, the scope is a OOUK VX6 F5 1/10 has had 3 brief visits out since it arrived and is very promising but not used enough to fully assess just yet. The encoder fitted Swiss AYO got here a few days ago after a near 6 month wait and the Nexus DSC arrived today. Probably be September now before I have time to use this set up due to holidays, but everything appears to be working from quick testing today and very much looking forward to using what I hope will be an easily transportable and fast set up grab n go system for the short sessions where the big cat Evo takes a little to long to cool down.

610_6963.thumb.jpg.5d82ae16cfff165764ace9daa2763869.jpg

Fully set up except EP

610_6960.thumb.jpg.ab2b3c37986c5d28fc430340dab72f87.jpg

610_6942.thumb.jpg.acc93f56f51c786e1b9ebc32c3698c43.jpg

The business end of the VX6 F5

610_6937.thumb.jpg.f95d8e7c6430a10a00a5b0d95082365b.jpg

610_6944.thumb.jpg.2382d5a7a7275fdd092f66cca91d5a1f.jpg

Never used to like RDFs until I got a decent one....

610_6938.thumb.jpg.9e8a705d9bdb7ab484850e99c6254c40.jpg

The Nexus DSC on AYO II mount with encoders. The Nexus has GPS and WiFi so coordinates and time are taken care of as is
connecting to Sky Safari 5 with a tablet.

610_6941.thumb.jpg.7368d153dc70ffa93b4939b92ecc974b.jpg

610_6966.thumb.jpg.2b1cdbd2a7ac73284c4ba9bde2d4bdd1.jpg

610_6954.thumb.jpg.0a1e58a86c066c9c40c5ff8d772b4a40.jpg

610_6959.thumb.jpg.94ac27b33a3e4c1e8f8747a4916d1270.jpg

A "Proper Job" to show scale of size.

That`s it now, beans on toast until Xmas..... 

Edited by JG777
pics
  • Like 12

15 hours ago, Piero said:

That's lovely!!! :):) :)  And yes, that is a `proper job`!! 

How is the axial rotation? do you like it? 

I only have the Sabre AZ to compare it to but the axial rotation appears to be fine on both axis. Once a scope is mounted and balanced the movements are very smooth, no jerkiness it seems and fine tuning on the clamps feels a little more exact than the Sabre. I guess the real test will be out in colder conditions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JG777 said:

I only have the Sabre AZ to compare it to but the axial rotation appears to be fine on both axis. Once a scope is mounted and balanced the movements are very smooth, no jerkiness it seems and fine tuning on the clamps feels a little more exact than the Sabre. I guess the real test will be out in colder conditions.

Thanks John! :) The style of the OAK AYO 2 is beautiful to me. So far, I've only read positive reviews about the mount movements. :) 

Out of topic: your text colour seems to be the same as the background colour. I can read it after highlighting the text, but couldn't otherwise.

• Like 1

I think you will enjoy you AYO when it comes. Worth the wait.

Strange about the text it is definitely black on white on this screen. I have seen other peoples text do this as well but not sure why.

• Like 1

Just now, JG777 said:

I think you will enjoy you AYO when it comes. Worth the wait.

Strange about the text it is definitely black on white on this screen. I have seen other peoples text do this as well but not sure why.

I am waiting for it. Sometimes it is the best thing to do, and I believe this is one of the cases. :) 

Now your text colour seems back to normal. Very clear to read. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NGC007 said:

Great bit of kit.  

The AYO mount, top notch.  

Nexus DSC, top notch.  

The booze, proper job.  

Very tidy setup as well.    

Hope you enjoy.

Clem

Thank you Clem, have been testing at home the AYO is superb and the Nexus so easy to find your way around. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

I missed your original posting of this setup John - it really does look cracking in every respect :smiley:

Which Berlebach UNI tripod is that, the 18 or the 28 ?

Hi John

It is the UNI18, I added the central spreader which is a huge improvement over the chains. Not sure how different this would be to the 28?

• Like 1

Just now, JG777 said:

Hi John

It is the UNI18, I added the central spreader which is a huge improvement over the chains. Not sure how different this would be to the 28?

Thanks John,

I have a UNI 28 - the difference is just the height when full extended I think, which I need for my refractors. I must get round to getting that spreader - it looks very neat and effective.

19 minutes ago, Lockie said:

That's class! Love the mount, and is that a stock OO UK focuser? I've seen that V shaped cutout on some of the newer William Optic scopes focusers. 

Thank you Lockie 

Yes this is a stock OO UK focusser. It arrived with a slight squeak but OO explained to me what needed adjusting and was cured pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Alan,

The AYO mount is superb, I have added another clamp to the other side which gives a little more clearance as well for the OO 6, I also often remove the extension tube which converts it to 3/8 mode and use it on a Berlebach Report 112 with the smaller refractors.

The scope is my most used scope, performance wise on wide field and DSO it out performs the SW100 ED PRO I had, on lunar not much in it and on planetary it performs well pulling more detail although the frac did have better overall contrast and on nights of good seeing delivered a crisper view of planets. I upgraded the secondary collimation screws to thumbscrews which speeds things up as well. Overall collimation is easy and fast and holds well. Focusser is very good, practically no slop which makes using the Baader laser very accurate and matches the cheshire. All in all a very good all rounder and 6 inches of aperture is excellent for grab and go whilst being short and light with a quick cooldown. I have been thinking of a dedicated planetary scope but am undecided on that right now. I like the look of the TS classical cassegrain, amongst others. 

The DSC is less impressive. Functionality wise it is excellent but the build quality in my view is fragile. The unit has been back to Australia for a new encoder port after the retaining lug snapped, and recently Serge sent me a new casing after 3 of the retaining screw joints cracked and failed. The on off switch has also started to disintegrate and there is not much of it left. Pretty poor for a £435 unit, and I go to a lot of trouble looking after my kit in use and storage. In comparison the Argo Navis is built like an outside toilet , it may be older technology but it does the same thing and its thumbweel is easier to use in winter when wearing gloves. I will probably nab another Argo as a back up as I can't see the Nexus going the distance.

Thats about it, I like the push to set up for simplicity and less power requirements,  and also the wider variety of options. Set up is quick and easy and you observe in silence. 

• Like 3

Thank you for the answer John, much appreciated.

Very Interesting about the DSC being fragile, equally interesting that the Argo Navis is tougher.

The OOUK vx6 sounds a hit to me, used to love my SW150p f5 for much the same reason,

What wave mirror is your scope?

• Like 1

Alan it is 1/10 wave, at the time OO were doing an offer of a free upgrade although to have it done is not a huge cost. I don't know how much difference it makes if any over a standard SW mirror, it may depend on seeing conditions and how good your eyes are! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have a question about the Ayo and the OO 6-inch. I ordered the AYO II and was wondering which OO6 inch you have on the mount. Is it the f/5 ?  And do you keep clear of the tripod-legs with the scope. I ask this because I am still strugling about what scope to use with the AYO II. A newtonian or a cassegrain-type....   anyway, maybe you can give me some info on your setup. Looks fantastic.

Cheers

Mat