NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M 20 ZWO ASI 071

Benklerk

Messier 20
The Trifid Nebula is an H II region located in Sagittarius. The object is an unusual combination of an open cluster of stars; an emission nebula a reflection nebula and and a dark nebula. The Trifid Nebula is a star-forming region in the Scutum spiral arm of the Milky Way.
The most massive star that has formed in this region is HD 164492A, an O7.5III star with a mass more than 20 times the mass of the Sun.

GSO 6" RC
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 071 OSC Gain 0
4min x 15 = 1hr

M 20 Final.jpg

Isn't that great. And done in an hour! Amazing.

For me the golden background sky is right. Widefields of this and neighbouring targets show this golden colour as a result of all the gas and dust around the galactic centre. It reddens the stars as well.

Olly

Thanks for you comments, my avg seeing for this night was about 2.5 arc sec, and live 1050m above sea level, 100km away from the nearest city. So I do have clear skies. Each time I use my new camera on my 6". I surprise my self on how good the images come out.

Can't wait to start building my observatory with all new gear. I wounder what I could do with a Ha filter if I get good OSC images now.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Certainly great. And with a 6" RC!

But, @Benklerk, is this with a reducer? It seems a wide field for the native f/9.

Hi wim

No, I don't use a focal reducer. I have a flattner. One problem with the GSO 6" is it has bad coma around the edges and a field flattner reduces this.

The FL is 1370mm, and the chip size is 15.6 x 23.6.

ben

Wonderful delicate M20--details galore.  I do not think the background is yellow--there are allot of yellow/red stars that kind of give the impression of a yellowish background, but as Olly said--I think that's right from what I have seen. 

Rodd

Archived