Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar filter C90 Mak

Planet X

Hi guys, can anybody recommend a solar filter for a Celestron c90 Mak?  Off to the States next month for the big one and want to take my C90 Mack as it is compact and relatively light.

Cheers in advance

On 7/21/2017 at 10:34, Peter Drew said:

As Michael says but it will only be of use pre and post totality for the phases, at totality you would see nothing.   :icon_biggrin:

True, but solar filters can be used to look for sun sports, and other phenomena like Mercury occultations, and sun grazer comets, long after this eclipse is done and gone.

Wouldn't a dew shield be a natural for attaching a DIY film based filter? My thoughts are to cut a hole in a sheet of modeling foam to make a tight fit over the dew shield and mount the film on this foam. Also construction insulation foam would work, or my thinking is off, which could well be.

R

1 hour ago, theropod said:

True, but solar filters can be used to look for sun sports, and other phenomena like Mercury occultations, and sun grazer comets, long after this eclipse is done and gone.

Wouldn't a dew shield be a natural for attaching a DIY film based filter? My thoughts are to cut a hole in a sheet of modeling foam to make a tight fit over the dew shield and mount the film on this foam. Also construction insulation foam would work, or my thinking is off, which could well be.

R

Agreed, :icon_biggrin:. a very useful item long term. I was just pointing out that the Sun can be viewed without any filtering at totality, specially with binoculars. There seems to be a misconception with this and as a total solar eclipse for many will be a once in a lifetime experience it seems a pity to miss the opportunity.

A film solar filter can be made from almost anything that is not going to break or come loose during use. Make sure that the film is in a relaxed state, not pulled tight like a drum skin.

Between posting previously and now I went and ordered an A4 sheet of Baader solar film to make my own. When I get it finished and take a couple good photos I will post into a new thread. This should be enough for my little C90 mak and my little DIY refractor.

My wife and I are flying out from Arkansas to Sacramento where my son lives and then driving up to eastern Oregon for the eclipse. Somewhere between Madras and John Day where we should be able to find solitude and wide open spaces. I am thinking of using my iPhone with one of those Celestron glasses taped over the camera to capture a time lapsed video. Since we will be close to the Perseid shower it would be uber cool to capture one during totality.

Archived