Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommandations for first try light pollution astrophotography. PLEASE RESPOND!

So tonight im going out for my first time doing astrophotography and i would like to know some easy to find short-very short exposure targets that i could manage with an iphone, and a 5 inch with a RA Motor. Sorry this post was written in a rush but i will go out really soon. Clear skies!

If you want to image DSO's then a phone would probably not be the best idea, but you could try brighter ones if you have an adapter for your phone. If you have, then I would really recommend nightcap pro, which allows you to take longer exposures(you can control your camera settings manually).

good luck! I hope that you are going to post your results here!

Honestly, keep your phone in your pocket, and enjoy the views.

Or install an app to find viewing targets.

Try viewing objects like the dumbell neb (m27), albireo or the 'coathanger' asterism.

Astrophotography is better done at prime focus with a camera.

Good luck, and have fun

I've seen some good pictures of the Moon taken with camera phones, but it can be very tricky if you're doing it handheld. Filling the eyepiece with the target can help, if there is too much sky the auto-exposure won't work and you'll end up with an overexposed Moon. Planetary is possible using video and a holder to keep the camera in position. This is the most impressive shot I've seen:

D6RPiNe.jpg

Taken from here, 8" dob and 400 out of 1,400 stacked frames of 4k video. I don't know how difficult it would be to get focus, I hope to give this a try if I can find the time.

For DSOs you'd need some kind of app that lets you set the exposure settings, and you'd want to stack multiple frames. Certainly not the best tool for the job but I see no reason why worthwhile results wouldn't be achievable on the brighter DSOs.

I've managed a few shots of Jupiter and Saturn, both found that recording a video was a lot better. I have 2 eye pieces exactly the same. I set up the phone holder inside and lock it into position, I found this easier to do in the light than faffinf around trying to keep an object in view while trying to find a good position for my phone lol.  I will find a target with my 20mm, switch down to a 10mm, get it in focus, then switch out to a 10mm already Set up and video. If you have an android voice controls are good because it won't wobble the scope tapping the screen to take pictures. 

Hope it works out for you

5 minutes ago, Mattwaters said:

I set up the phone holder inside and lock it into position, I found this easier to do in the light than faffinf around trying to keep an object in view while trying to find a good position for my phone lol.  I will find a target with my 20mm, switch down to a 10mm, get it in focus, then switch out to a 10mm already Set up and video. If you have an android voice controls are good because it won't wobble the scope tapping the screen to take pictures.

Good tips thanks, I might be able to sight on a distant object on the horizon to get a decent focus while it's still light. Does anyone have any recommendations for a phone holder please?

I have a really old smartphone that I was given at the moment, but this might give me more incentive to upgrade to something with 4k video. Could be something fun to try in either less-than-ideal conditions or while my camera rig is tracking and doing its thing.

Archived