NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explore Scientific 5.5mm 100

Hi everyone I'm considering purchasing the above ep in the coming months.

My question is would 273 mag be to much for our uk skies?

I would be using it solely in my 12" dobsonian I've barlowed my 13mm ethos before now with success but as always before making a purchase I would like to hear your opinions and wise words ?

I use my 6mm Ethos and 5mm Pentax XW a lot with my 12" dob. The 6mm (265x) tends to be my regular eyepiece for Saturn, planetary nebulae, busting globular clusters etc and the 5mm (318x) is my best lunar eyepiece if the conditions are reasonably good.

So, yes, I think the ES 5.5mm would get quite a bit of use.

I talked myself out of buying a 5mm eyepiece for similar reasons for almost a month ;) A 5mm BGO popped up on ABS and my resistance broke. I've had lots do use out of it since so no regrets. Someone said to me that you may rarely get to use an eyepiece that gives you the max magnification for your scope but on those special nights where conditions allow for it, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't have it! 

Archived