Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tal pier with HEQ5???

Would I be able to put an HEQ5 mount on a Tal pier.

There is a Tal pier in the forsale section and I am interested but I want to know if I can swap the Tal mount for the HEQ5. Would it fit, need an adapter and if so where would I get one?

Also would the Tal mount be suitable to take the Explorer 200 with DSLR etc etc.

Hi.

I've got both the 4" and 3" Tal mounts/piers. Which one is it you're interested in?

I'll take a guess at the more common, smaller 3". To complicate matters, I think 2 types were made.

Type A had a smooth socket and a threaded knob or two, at the top of the pier, held the gem head in place.

Type B had an internal thread to accept the threaded gem head. This has an internal clearance of 71mm and 25mm deep. I think the 'plug' could be knocked out, if more depth was needed. Not great pics below.

8220_normal.jpeg

8221_normal.jpeg

Hope this is of some help, as I haven't got nor seen a heq mount head.

Andy.

you would need to get it doctored to fit, I personally would have said the pier isnt up to it.. certainly the smaller bore one is to high, I dont know about the larger bore one.

The skywatcher EQ/HEQ5 pedestal steve sells, fits and does the job perfectly with both EQ/HEQ5 heads and celestron CG5/CG5 GT heads.

Beamer,

The Tal-2 pier I have is the type A one described by AndyH, different from the photo. The Tal gem head screws into an adaptor which is then retained in the tube by thumbscrews, providing you have this adaptor or can make an equivalent for the HEQ5 I think it should work. At a guess I would say the tube is at least 6mm thick and weighs a ton, the bolt on feet are also typical Russian engineering - robust. I don't know what a HEQ5 Gem base looks like but if it is like the EQ5 would require to be bolted from the underside, the adaptor would help in that it could be fitted to the head then inserted into the tube and locked into position. If using the standard legs, there is no adjustment for levelling so you would also require to add some form of adjustment for levelling, all in I would think quite an amount of work required to make it all work together.

Brendan

Archived