Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Check your images

Talitha

Just read a heads-up over in Yahoo by Brian Skiff at Lowell Obs regarding a possible nova in Scorpius. He says images might have been unknowingly taken of the eruption... worth checking your pics to see if you've captured it. :clouds2:

"A likely nova has been reported independently by several amateurs. The position is close to: 17 57 32.9 -30 43 10 (J2000), and it is about mag 9. This is close to the border with Sagittarius, not far from gamma Sgr. If you happen to have wide-field or other images of the region since about Aug 31.0 UT they could be of interest in showing the eruption of the object."

Curses! I did M28 recently, it's only a few degrees away (I just checked), but (a) not in widefield, and (:clouds2: a month too early! :x

I still have this dream of one day being the one to 'bag' a SN - when I can get back to doing galaxies, next spring maybe :? . But realistically, I know I've got about as much chance of that, as I have of meeting up with Elvis and Lord Lucan on the same day. Most of the likely galaxies are far too well watched - with far bigger telescopes and more sophisticated kit than I've got!

cool some great novas happening, when is one of the orion stars gonna go nova? ain't there one on the brink

Betelgeuse is in it's final phase. Mind you, that could be a million years from now. But then it could be tomorrow. In fact it might already have popped but we won't know for 400 odd years. Would be good if it did go.

cheers dave thats the one, someone told me it would outshine venus and be visible in the daytime and the eventual nebula produce would rival M42

More than that! If Beetlejuice goes pop as a type II SN, it may reach mag. -14, far outstripping the Full Moon, clearly visible in daytime even when low down on the horizon, and put paid to any serious Deep Sky observing of anything else in the sky, for the duration.

The radiation emanating from it may also cause significant environmental damage here on Earth. If we're still around to experience it, that is...

Archived