Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser Slipping?

When my new scope (SW Esprit 80) is almost in the vertical the focuser slips unless I engage the lock, but when I do this the fine focuser won't turn. Is there a solution to this? I only have the 2" diagonal and a Baader Zoom on it.

There is or was on the FLO site a guide to improving the SW focuser. I very much suspect that it was a case of take apart, clean the grease that SW use off of everything and get all surfaces CLEAN. then regrease with something better, lithium grease seems the general one. then reassemble and set all the tensions up better.

And then hope it fixes it.

Crayfords are baseically friction nd so the surfaces need to be clean and the tension correct.

There is this which is for a GSO item: http://polluxchung.com/gso_crayford_fix/index.html  but likely very similar.

You may be able to remove a single plate on the SW item nd get some access to the internals in order to do a bit of a clean on the friction surfaces and wheel - not totally sure but look around.

From a search I cannot see the artical on the focuser. Sure they had one as everyone moaned about WO focusers but the improvement guide was for the SW one, seemed ironic. Basically not many were really great. They have improved since. Search Google.

There is also this video ... For my part I just played with the tension screw and I have no more slippage

Archived