Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustrated newbie

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a follow up, I got some really good views of Jupiter tonight through my digital slr LCD screen.. 

i focused on some clouds earlier today, took a sharpie and marked the focus point on the scope.. 

i used prime focus for a bit, then I used a Barlow with a 9mm eye piece and the t ring adapter to get a bit closer.. 

as far as the stars go, I found my focus with that sharpie line and tweaked it a bit. Took a few 15 sec shots and got some experience.. I think I'm on my way..

i still got a long way to go before I get some better shots..

IMG_2734.MOV

9 hours ago, popeye85 said:

really-get synscaninnit. it is a fantastic app and a great way to ensure you are always putting in the correct data.

Not always..i reset my lat/long according to synscaninit,first star align selected Capella and scope slewed towards Vega.. 're done back to lat/long as before and it was fine

The 3 star sky align never works, I have to use two star auto align.. and the mount isn't as accurate as I would like, stars are rarely in view, I usually have to search a little to complete the go to process..

i use sky portal provided by celestron 

11 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Not always..i reset my lat/long according to synscaninit,first star align selected Capella and scope slewed towards Vega.. 're done back to lat/long as before and it was fine

mmm interesting-was there much of a difference between your actual positon and what synscaninnit said? the app gets the lat long straight from your phones gps signal so yo need to ensure this is switched on.

12 hours ago, popeye85 said:

mmm interesting-was there much of a difference between your actual positon and what synscaninnit said? the app gets the lat long straight from your phones gps signal so yo need to ensure this is switched on.

Yes it was slightly different on one axis.. and yes was switched on as wouldn't of got any coordinates otherwise

15 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Interesting I use SynscanInit 2 and co-ordinates are correct when doing a 3 star alignment first star is always out second is in fov and third is usually bang on.

Mine is like that with Google coordinates..with the synscaninit it's way off..in a different  direction..

It's good for location of polaris

• 2 weeks later...

mmm interesting^10 .....

Hi gays

Your experience is strange and I am interested in having more information concerning this variance. (I coded Synscaninit)

For your information all apps use the same GPS services given by your device.

The only difference is that Google uses first, network information (3G antenna or Internet receiver location) to find roughly your location until GPS fix is ok.

These first coordinates are not accurate and can be significantly different than GPS one and as a consequence; partialy wrong.

In the case of Synscaninit I disabled this first link with 3G/Internet calculation to avoid any wrong coordinates. So the final figures come directly from your device without any modification except for altitude.

In case of doubt, download an app like "GPS test" and compare coordinates with Syncaninit (make sure same format is applied).

If there is a difference I am really interested to have your feed back. May be something to improve in my  app :)

Marco

Clear Sky for everybody .

Archived