Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 with EQ2 Mount

bobro

Normally as a beginner with a basic 130EQ reflector on an EQ2 I don't post in this thread. However, I find this M27 image intriguing and though it worthwhile to show what a very low cost setup can (sometimes) come up with. 35 subs @ 60 sec. Note: coma corrector removed to see if the image at the centre of the field of view is improved.

M27v2.jpg

Not a bad start at all. Actually quite nice data and with some processing (in my case Photoshop but I am sure Wim would suggest Pixinsight) you can improve an image like yours a lot.

M27v2 GN.jpg

19 minutes ago, gorann said:

Actually quite nice data and with some processing (in my case Photoshop but I am sure Wim would suggest Pixinsight) you can improve an image like yours a lot.

Hey Göran - I like the improvement and am impressed! Still a 'natural' looking image, which is what I like. Thanks! Now I can see why those who understand image processing say get good software and learn how to use it. My excuse is I'm still occupied with understanding how to make best use of my diy modified setup. A subsequent step has to be to learn how to process images and make the best of them. Does anyone do courses????

Since you live in the UK there is a good chance you can find courses possibly some arranged by SGL. I learned by books, reading up on the net, and then trial, error and practicing, and I still have a lot to learn.

37 minutes ago, bobro said:

Does anyone do courses????

That fine academic institute known as Google, has free online courses. Many are hosted by the illustrous university of Youtube.

Seriously though, when you decide for a capable software package (read: PixInsight :evil6:), you'll find plenty of tutorials on the internet, and fine people here directing you to them.

(Oh, and yes, that goes for PhotoShop as well.)

Have a look around at what's available, compare the options, and try before you buy. As with hardware, you have to figure out what works best for you. Any decent processing software can produce masterpieces or garbage. Comparing finished images tells you more about the person doing the processing, than about the processing software. But also as with hardware: be prepared to invest both money and time.

Tried a bit of processing (GIMP) to see if I could move towards Göran's image - star reduction, reduced colour saturation in background, sharpened, increased saturation and luminance (I think) in nebula. No match, but a start.....

M27v0.jpg

You are clearly already getting there. You did essentially what I did. One problem with your image is that you took it without the coma corrector and odd star shapes are difficult to correct (I did it partially by using a Photoshop plug-in filter called Focus Magic that can correct motion blur but it is not ideal for coma). Then shrinking them helps quite a bit.

Archived