SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Printsonian 10" f/6

Chriske

There's a part completed miniature one about 35mm diameter.  Printed in green ABS.  I may make one a bit bigger in ASA (UV resistant) in my Giant printer in time...  :D

• 3 months later...

This scope is printed a few years ago.
All is done on a Prusa i2 - 200x200mm bed.
So all parts fit on that bed and all these parts were bolted together.

Meanwhile these printers are cannibalized to make me better and larger printers.
The printers I use today are of own design, I call them Ulti-printer. This very moment, together with a few friends and pupils, we're  building 5 of these Ulti-printers V3. (Build surface 300x300mm).

Now I see why you're interested in using very big nozzles, Chris ?   Ah... Aluminium tubes for the main supports - even my Giant printer couldn't accommodate those.  I'm limited to 700mm in height ATM.  But I have BIG ideas and who knows what the future may bring.  Once I get a spare room cleared out it's anyone's guess what I may put in it ?

• Haha 1

How about granules instead of filament?  ColorFab sell them.  Best of luck in devising a system to use them though!! ?  I bought some several years ago with the idea of getting my brain into gear but it hasn't happened yet. ?

Edited by Gina

Googled "3D printer using pellets" and came up with THIS.  Refers to a video by Richard Thorne ("RichRap") whose ideas I've used before (fishing line braided cord instead of timing belts).  He has an Open Source design for an extruder using ColorFabb pellets.

Edited by Gina

Checked my stock of pellets and I have 4 x 300g bottles of natural PLA pellets from ColorFabb plus a little pot (100g I guess) of black.  I may put some thought into making an extruder to take these pellets.

• 1 year later...
On 13/08/2017 at 14:25, Chriske said:

remind me if I forget...

Hi Chriske,

It was a long time ago but did you end up publishing the files ? I would love to adapt it for a smaller mirror. 

The 3D design seems really well done, congrats !

Cheers