Narrowband

Printsonian 10" f/6

Chriske

Except for the aluminum tubes this Dob(own design) is completely printed using a Prusa i2, all is in dutch but the many pictures tell it all. (It took me a few months to draw this thing.)
Enjoy...

The man on the right is Guy, our electronics guru, left is a visitor during our open door.

printsonian-tube-assembling19.JPG

• Like 21

On 6/18/2017 at 02:39, Racey said:

That's fantastic. 

How's rigidity @Chriske ?

The black (thin wall)l tubes are hardened aluminum, the outer diameter is 35mm(1.4") so the scope itself is very stiff.
The Dob's rocker is made of a (thin walled) steel structure so it is very stiff also. The triangle based structure makes it even stiffer. The green 21mm(0.8") diameter steel tubes are plastic coated.

On 6/18/2017 at 02:41, Mrs Racey said:

What a project. Brilliant. 

I bet that's a bit lighter to heave up the garden than our steel tubed Dob !!

Well I do not know about that, I suppose it is lighter. I did not had a lightweight telescope in mind during designing. I just wanted the telescope to be printable on a standard 200x200mm(8"x8") bed.
The tube's weight is 7.9kg(about 17lb) The rocker's weight is about 13kg(about 28lb), batteries included in both parts. If I would print it again I would consider setting the infill of all parts a bit lower. All parts have now infill 35%.
Both parts have separate power-packs as a lot of electronics is involved.

On 6/18/2017 at 07:07, bottletopburly said:

How long to print /complete project 

That's a difficult one to answer...
One of the goals was to hide all electronics and its wiring in the telescope's parts itself so I spent lots of time thinking/drawing how to do that. So during drawing I constantly had to keep in mind and decide whether a part was candidate to include invisible canals to allow all wiring passing through. Assembling the scope and rocker was not easy with that 'wiring-problem'. Many times I had to start all over again because a wire was missing or lead through the wrong parts, ending up at the wrong side of the telescope.
A second important time consuming item was how to make such a large telescope printable on a standard bed. The only solution was to print small parts and bolt or glue them together.

To answer the question : I have no idea, one year, maybe more. Printing itself took me about 60 days(I think...).

All red parts in the drawing are 'hollow' or have 'canals' to allow wiring to pass through or for PCB's or batteries to install.

printsonian17.JPG

This is one of the (easy) parts were wiring will pass through.
in this case the wiring is very near the parts inner perimeter.

wiring2.JPG

wiring1.JPG

Edited by Chriske

On 6/19/2017 at 02:36, Chriske said:

printsonian17.JPG

Here's a list of all electronics involved in this telescope :

1- DSC system. Own design and except for the small gears(mod 0.5) all parts are printed. Connecting with the software(tablet) is done wireless. DSC connection between scope and rocker is done with a timing belt.
2- Green laser pointer(I do not use finderscopes). Push button for that laser is located in the Crayford focuser. Mostly used to initiate the DSC system at the beginning of a session or just to find/point easy objects.
3- Heat control for the green laser.  Laser is kept at 18°C all the time, even in mid-winter.
4- Primary mirror cooling fans. Speed control for these fans is located in one of the Alt-bearings.
5- Boundary layer (Primary mirror) fans. Push button for these fans is located in the Crayford focuser.
6- 2x2 battery compartments. One set is located in the rocker, the other in the scope itself.  I use them in series so I become 14.4 volt for each compartment.
7- Locking system on the altitude bearing. (not yet electronically) Purpose is to allow smooth eyepiece switch without the scope sagging away, losing the object out of the field of view. Problem is the big difference in weight between my smallest end largest eyepiece. When done I slide a counterweight to compensate and release the scope again.
Working on :
8- Dew control for the secondary (that's why all 3 curved spider vanes for the secondary mirror are colored red in the drawing). The 3 metal spider vanes act as leads.
9- Stepper motor for the Crayford focuser. That's why the Crayford is somewhat larger. There is also a micro-switch involved to 'home' the eyepiece.

All electronics are designed and made by Guy, our electronics guru.(mentioned higher up in this thread).

printsonian-tube-assembling34.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chriske said:

Files are available of course. There's no reason to keep them hidden from other ATM-friends...

nice one :) where from? google has a thingiverse link but it gives a 404 error

Yep, erased all my 57 projects from TV.
I'll host the Printsonian files somewhere else to dowload but later today.
You'll have to do it with the source files, STP instead of STL. There are two reasons why I give you the STP files instead.
1- These Printsonian-STL-files takes almost 1Gb of space. STP is much smaller.
2- STP can be imported in any 3D software, as a bonus you can modify if necessary and convert it to STL yourself afterward.

remind me if I forget...

22 hours ago, Chriske said:

Yep, erased all my 57 projects from TV.
I'll host the Printsonian files somewhere else to dowload but later today.
You'll have to do it with the source files, STP instead of STL. There are two reasons why I give you the STP files instead.
1- These Printsonian-STL-files takes almost 1Gb of space. STP is much smaller.
2- STP can be imported in any 3D software, as a bonus you can modify if necessary and convert it to STL yourself afterward.

remind me if I forget...

I would really appreciate the link to the .STP files too. You have done a fantastic job with this design

Derrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 19/06/2017 at 13:39, DaveS said:

Wonder if @Gina has seen this! looks right up her street :D.

I have all the telescopes I require and more - maybe I should sell some :D