SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Astronomical Society – Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Pauln

New Astronomical Society – Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

There is a new Astronomical Society starting in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

The first meeting will take place on October 20th 2008 at Finstall Park which is the Bromsgrove Rugby Club ground. I will post a time for this closer to the event. This will be an open evening with a short talk and the chance to ask questions about the new society, followed by some observing if it is clear.

There are currently four people involved in the planning and set up of the society with a mixture of astronomy experience from expert to beginner. Our aim is to have an open and friendly society that welcomes people of all ages and experience with a mixed program of speakers and observing. We will meet once a month as well as looking to host star parties. Overall our aims will be as follows:

1.The promotion of astronomy as a hobby and science.

2.To share skills and knowledge with like-minded people.

3.To bring astronomy to the attention of the public through star parties and similar events.

I will post more information on the Agenda as we get closer to the date.

If you are interested or if you have any questions please do message me.

Regards

Paul.

www.broms-astro.org.uk

Hi Paul

I wish you well with your new group. HantsAstro in Hampshire (of course!) started in March this year and now has over 60 members and two observing sites, a web-site, a magazine and newsletter.

If you have a great team, it's amazing what you can achieve. Finding the right people who want to join in and working together is key. It is hard at the start for sure.

It's so rewarding to set up a new group and see run. My only advice is always take people with you in your plans and communicate. It also takes a massive amount of energy to get it rolling, but less to keep it going. We do everything as simply as possible. It's all about astronomy, not much else.

Oh, and let everyone know you're out there. So many great groups have lots of problems with getting members and money, because people don't know they exist.

Adur AS is a great example of a newly formed group and are getting it bang on. Hat's off to you Robin/Trevor.

Good Luck and clear dark skies!

David

• 2 weeks later...

There is an active club in Worcester yes. I have heard that there is one in Redditch but have not seen any details. There does seem to be an upsurge in Astronomy, I have noticed that and I have only been doing this for just over a year. The others who are involved in Bromsgrove have many many years of experience and one runs an astronomy business.

• 1 month later...

Best of luck to Paul! and yes indeed there is a Redditch Astronomical Society also.

We have been going for about a year now, in fact comet Holmes appeared around the time of our first offiicial meeting, so that was quite auspicious, with one of our member's pictures also being printed in the local paper!

We meet on the first Monday of each month at our new hi-tech venue at St Augutine's RC school where we have talks and lectures. Weather permitting (i.e. rarely :) ) we also meet at our dark site on Friday evenings with our scopes.

It seems like we have quite a high density of societies in this part of the Midlands now, and with very little overlap in meeting days, so now there is no excuse for us Midlanders not getting out and sharing our interest with others!

Archived