Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 250mm - how to setup for solar imaging ?

Hi forum,

I was wondering how to set up my SW 250px (10" reflector) for solar imaging.

I notice it has a 50mm cap & hole in the dust cover.... I'm assuming this is to enabe solar observing with a suitable solar filter? is this correct?

And I gues I don't need the finder, so just remove or cover it up.

And for imaging, can I use my 10mm plossl and canon 5Dmk3 to image once I have the solar filter in place? or do I need additional filter equipment?

Thanks

Ray

I made a 4" off axis filter with baader solar film (rough but functional and safe).  I image prime focus with a canon dslr or with a webcam type camera. The hole in the dust cap is a bit small I think. Eyepiece projection won't produce as good an image but might work, I've never tried it!

IMG_3718.JPG

3 minutes ago, Raymo said:

Thanks Tooth_dr

I see the film is available on eBay, £24 for an A4 sheet.

the hole in the Skywatcher dust cap is 50mm, do you think it's too small?

I do think it reduces resolution. Whereas 10" is just too large. I think about 80-100mm is just right, hopefully someone will come along and agree with this !! I've used the 50mm dust cap in my ST80 and it works ok but seems to reduce quality. 

If you are going to opt for full aperture then I would get a UV/IR cut filter for the eyepiece for any visual observing.

When you consider that a solar scope is often only 60mm diameter you are collecting a lot more radiation then they do - and I use "radiation" deliberately to remove the idea of just more light. That diameter means you are collecting more the 10x the amount via a more size normal refractor.

Archived