Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

fireworks galaxy

Astro twilight ended here at 23:15 yesterday. I had a go at this starting about 1/2 hour in despite the turbulence over the northern horizon. A big decon got rid of most of it but left the brighter stars with a not very nice refractor-like halo. I'm hoping the strange colour is due to galactic dust -wikipedia always gives me ideas for excuses.  Anyway, this is looking promising for later in the summer when it's overhead. Any comments particularly on the colour, most welcome as there seem as many colour schemes as there are Google images... Clear skies and thanks for looking.

fw2.thumb.jpg.5686b9ec613ca7030a63116ad74d40a4.jpg

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

the supernova

Ah, yes, of course. What a missed opportunity: short green lines at right angles which extrapolate to its position. Like when they discovered Pluto. I've always wanted to do that!

You can put the SN lines in now!  

I'm not at home and using a laptop screen so can't say much on the colour other than that it's in broad agreement with what I found. The spiral arms are, I think, rather grey-ish in reality, tending towards blue, so a small change in the blue component makes a big difference to the colour, hence the unusual range to be seen in images. The golden core is usually seen as well. How much red you'd espect to see depends on Ha. There's a heck of a lot if it in intense clumps around the arms. It can end up looking like a millionairess in a ruby store. (This is my attempt to sound like Raymond Chandler. :icon_biggrin: )

It's a nice result. I'm going to go back to mine in search of the very faint outer arms.

Olly

On 02/06/2017 at 11:33, alacant said:

Astro twilight ended here at 23:15 yesterday. I had a go at this starting about 1/2 hour in despite the turbulence over the northern horizon. A big decon got rid of most of it but left the brighter stars with a not very nice refractor-like halo. I'm hoping the strange colour is due to galactic dust -wikipedia always gives me ideas for excuses.  Anyway, this is looking promising for later in the summer when it's overhead. Any comments particularly on the colour, most welcome as there seem as many colour schemes as there are Google images... Clear skies and thanks for looking.

fw2.thumb.jpg.5686b9ec613ca7030a63116ad74d40a4.jpg

Looks great to me! Can I ask sub times and ISO etc. Thanks I might give this a go but the moon!!!!

Gerry

4 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Looks great to me! Can I ask sub times and ISO

Hi. Thanks.

Not sure how much darkness you get. If you could wait until moon-set, you'd have the advantage of it being higher and darker.

I took 16x240s light, 32 bias, 16 flat and 16 dark flat frames @ISO800. HTH and good luck.

*do post if you have a go:)

19 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. Thanks.

Not sure how much darkness you get. If you could wait until moon-set, you'd have the advantage of it being higher and darker.

I took 16x240s light, 32 bias, 16 flat and 16 dark flat frames @ISO800. HTH and good luck.

*do post if you have a go:)

I'll try but the moon sets late! I'll post my results anyway. 

Archived