Does this wiring diagram look okay?

michaelmorris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

Just joined this thread, isn't 10A a bit high for a mount? I've got a CGEM and I've got a 2 amp quick blow fuse in the feed. Allowing your mount to draw up to 10 amps seems a bit risky!

The box will feed not only mount (which will pull up to 4A on high-speed slewing). It also feeds the the dew heaters, CCD camera and powered USB hub. Hence the 10 amps requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good now Michael.  I'm putting a distribution station on my EQ6R Mount. DC Voltages only, plus a USB Startech Hub to 
rotate with the mount. It reduces the amount of cables trailing around the area of the mount.
I am using Buck Converters to drop The 13.8 DC.  volts down to suit  components where  necessary. 
Power connectors are the Aviation Plugs, such as  the Power Input on the New  EQ6 R Mounts.
A small digital Voltmeter to monitor the Important supplies to the CCD and other supply conscious voltages.
All packed into an ABS Project Box, as long as I can find a place on the mount that will be safe in all orientations :biggrin:.

Just a thought - what are the IP ratings of those connectors, plus the switches come to think of it?

Dew will form heavily and condensation / humidity may eat the insides over time.

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

Just a thought - what are the IP ratings of those connectors, plus the switches come to think of it?

Dew will form heavily and condensation / humidity may eat the insides over time.

I'm not overly concerned about dew as it's all low down in the observatory and hence is a bit shaded from the sky.  I suppose I could rap the plugs in insulating tape to reduce the risk of condensation forming on them.

The switch appears to be the same as used on EQ8 itself, so I would imagine it should be okay.

12 hours ago, barkis said:

Looking good now Michael.  I'm putting a distribution station on my EQ6R Mount. DC Voltages only, plus a USB Startech Hub to 
rotate with the mount. It reduces the amount of cables trailing around the area of the mount.
I am using Buck Converters to drop The 13.8 DC.  volts down to suit  components where  necessary. 
Power connectors are the Aviation Plugs, such as  the Power Input on the New  EQ6 R Mounts.
A small digital Voltmeter to monitor the Important supplies to the CCD and other supply conscious voltages.
All packed into an ABS Project Box, as long as I can find a place on the mount that will be safe in all orientations :biggrin:.

Thanks Ron

My box has two outputs.  One goes to my EQ8, the other to a combined 12v power distribution/ Ardunio focuser controller box with a Startech 7 port USB 3 hub to be mounted on the head just like yours.

Archived