Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help: Filter wheel with DSLR & Coma Corrector??

Peje

Hi all,

I'm planning to add a filter wheel to my setup shortly; partly so I can swap between my CLS & Ha filter via SG Pro, mostly so that the upgrade to CCD in a year or two is less painful in terms of cost.

I am trying to figure out the actual mounting of the hardware. My current setup leaves my focus point pretty tight into the tube body, around 1500 steps on the Moonlite CR2 from fully in. I had originally thought that I would be mounting the hardware in this order:

Focuer  >  Filter Wheel  >  Coma Corrector  >  DSLR

My concern is that the above sequence will not allow me to get focus as, i think, the Starlight Xpress USB Filter Wheel is around 29mm thick. This is much more than the 1500 steps. @FLO advised that they would have expected to see the filterwheel mounted directly to the camera but confirmed that this would compromise the spacing between my Coma Corrector and the camera sensor.

It strikes me that I can't be the first person to do this so I was hoping someone on SGL would have a suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
Pete.

37 minutes ago, Peje said:

Hi all,

I'm planning to add a filter wheel to my setup shortly; partly so I can swap between my CLS & Ha filter via SG Pro, mostly so that the upgrade to CCD in a year or two is less painful in terms of cost.

I am trying to figure out the actual mounting of the hardware. My current setup leaves my focus point pretty tight into the tube body, around 1500 steps on the Moonlite CR2 from fully in. I had originally thought that I would be mounting the hardware in this order:

Focuer  >  Filter Wheel  >  Coma Corrector  >  DSLR

My concern is that the above sequence will not allow me to get focus as, i think, the Starlight Xpress USB Filter Wheel is around 29mm thick. This is much more than the 1500 steps. @FLO advised that they would have expected to see the filterwheel mounted directly to the camera but confirmed that this would compromise the spacing between my Coma Corrector and the camera sensor.

It strikes me that I can't be the first person to do this so I was hoping someone on SGL would have a suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
Pete.

Sorry so far as I am aware it is not possible to use a filter wheel with a DSLR as you don't have sufficient back focus to place the filters on the scope side of the CC and you would get the CC spacing so badly wrong by placing them between the CC and DSLR that it would result in worse images than without the CC present. 

I use 2 inch filters with my DSLR and have to take the camera off to change them. 

7 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Sorry so far as I am aware it is not possible to use a filter wheel with a DSLR as you don't have sufficient back focus to place the filters on the scope side of the CC and you would get the CC spacing so badly wrong by placing them between the CC and DSLR that it would result in worse images than without the CC present. 

I use 2 inch filters with my DSLR and have to take the camera off to change them. 

This is what I currently do. Ah well this is life.

I'lll probably just get the filter wheel and it can live in a drawer until i make the jump to CCD

On 15/05/2017 at 15:33, Peje said:

This is what I currently do. Ah well this is life.

I'lll probably just get the filter wheel and it can live in a drawer until i make the jump to CCD

I have been looking for this for ages for you as I knew it existed. 

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p6025_TS-Canon-EOS-T-Adapter-with-Filter-Quick-Changer---Low-Profile.html

50 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Oh I like that, would make a filter change much easier. Think I'll order one and see how good it is.

Thanks Adam.

9 minutes ago, Peje said:

Oh I like that, would make a filter change much easier. Think I'll order one and see how good it is.

Thanks Adam.

If you do then please give me some feedback as I have considered it in the past. 

12 minutes ago, Peje said:

I am indeed, same username. Haven't been on in a while though

I've a few images up there, but didnt realise you were properly into astrophotography.  Great images on your site.

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I've a few images up there, but didnt realise you were properly into astrophotography.  Great images on your site.

Oh link me so I can have a look. Where you based?

This is an addictive hobby, this is my second year at it. I need to move to ccd but freeing up 2.5k is just not an option at the minute.

59 minutes ago, Peje said:

Oh link me so I can have a look. Where you based?

This is an addictive hobby, this is my second year at it. I need to move to ccd but freeing up 2.5k is just not an option at the minute.

The ZWO1600 looks pretty neat at £1500 with the filter wheel. I'll tag you on my RMS thread. I'm in Cookstown  

Archived