NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gemini G41 control system

Darryl

Hi All,

I've just purchased a secondhand Gemini G41 'field' mount as a step up from my previous EQ6. Mechanically it's good but the controller is defunct.

So....I'm looking to replace the aged Pulsar 1 control system with something that will drive it for imaging, hopefully semi-remote (from the house rather than properly remote) and will be robust and reliable in use. Previously I've used EQMOD and Maxim to drive an LX200 and EQ6 but i'm not too familiar with other control systems.

So what are my options? Does anyone have any experience of retro-fitting controllers? My initial list of options seem to be...

- Gemini Pulsar 2 

- Avalon StarGo

- AWR

Others?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,

Darryl

Hi Darryl.

I owned a Gemini G41 for many years and replaced it with a Paramount MX when I started the automation of my observatory.

The original Pulsar 1 proved rather fragile and had a Pulsar 1 and 2x Pulsar 2 fail, both after just a few years use, the second Pulsar 2 failed as I was setting up the mount for demonstration to a prospective purchaser but they bought the mount without controller anyway though I had to virtualy give it away.

For alternatives, there is the Boxdoerfer Dynostar, currently in version x3, but you have to contact them direct to purchase. There are no EU retailers that I am aware of because the product is not RoHS compliant and it is more expensive than the Pulsar though it appears more robust. It does require some diy skills, it comes as a controller handset, cables for the G41 and the controller board that you have to mount in a case. The RA worm encoder for PEC is no longer required as it remembers PEC using a defined home position and simply counting motor pulses with reference to the PEC curve start position (at least, that was how the original Dynostar v1 worked).

http://www.boxdoerfer.de/

While browsing the 365 Astronomy website a while back Zoltan had a controller listed, Ursa Minor MC3 mkII,  that supports the Gemini G42, AFAIK the motors and gear ratios for the G41 and G42 were the same with only the through-the-mount cabling for the DEC axis and combined D plug for RA and DEC motors to connect the single cable to the Pulsar 2 controller being different so presumably with suitable cabling this would work for the G41, it is considerably less expensive than either the Pulsar 2 or the Dynostar but know very little about where it is from or how reliable it may be.

http://www.365astronomy.com/MC3-Mk-II-Motor-Controller-for-Telescope-Mounts.html

Finally there is the Astro Electronic FS2, this has been in manufacture for many years but like the DynoStar can not be bought in the EU directly because of the RoHS regulations but if you contact them I think they can put you in touch with a non EU supplier and you can do a personal import.

When I bought my G41 from Telescope House Ian King was working there before starting his own business, he was using the FS2 with his G41 and highly recommended the FS2, after my first Pulsar 1 failed he was still using his original FS2, I wish I had gone down that route instead of buying a Pulsar 2.... live and learn as they say....

The FS2 also counts motor pulses for PEC and doesn't need the RA worm encoder, just a defined park position before switch off to remember the start of the PEC curve.

http://www.astro-electronic.de/fs2.htm

William.

Hello Darryl,

I have a Gemini G41 Observatory+ mount. Brilliant mount. Mine came with the Boxdorfer DynoStar X3 controller, but as William says, they may no be available in the EU. Suggest you drop Sigurd Boxdorfer an email. It's a self contained unit that simply plugs into the mount.

While you are at it, why not contact Gemini? - they are very responsive and helpful.

All the best,

Jeremy

Archived