Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

White solar filter question

With the night so short, I may as well use some filter for white solar observation on my little frac. Borg has 71mm clear aperture, outer tube dimension is around 79.

I have been looking at these two filters, Baader has 65mm clear aperture, TS one would cover it all (and then some, which probably means taht it should not be pushed too far down. They have different mounting options, too. Which one should I go for? Would 5 mm less aperture make difference in viewing? 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8843_TS-Optics-Astro-Telescope-Solar-Filter-aperture-75-mm---for-tubes-70-92-mm.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7673_Baader-AstroSolar-Spotting-Scope-Filter---Aperture--65-mm-Tube--70-85-mm.html

I personally would go for the slightly larger one. I have a slightly larger version of the other one for my 100-400mm zoom (in preparation for the solar eclipse), but personally prefer the wal the TS filter is mounted. I had an ERF mounted in a similar way, and it feels a bit more secure than the mounting of the Baader spotting-scope filter.

I'd also go for the larger one. It looks like most other "ready made" ones i have seen and looks more secure. I've never seen the design of the smaller one before. You dont need to push the filter right down until it touches the tube. The screws will keep it in place however far you mount it. There is a lip on the inside of the larger one which will also make sure it doesnt touch the scope objective (lens). 

I see it only costs 28 euros? Thats cheap. Unless i am reading the price wrong. I know in some countries which use the Euro, they write the prices differently to here in Ireland, so what looks like 28 euros to me could be 280 euros to others. I doubt it costs 280 euros though.

23 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Thanks. It is 28 euros sans VAT, with VAT and customs here it will be around 37 eur.

That is still very cheap (i dont mean low quality). Most i have seen cost about 70-80 euros. Maybe those ones i see for 70-80 euros are made of glass............such as Thousand Oaks etc.

I personally gave up trying to make a white light filter with the sheets of solar film available because my DIY skills are next to zero. I thought the ready made ones (such as the the 70-80 euro version i saw were too expensive). In the end, i bought myself a 1.25" Hershel Wedge,Solar Continuum filter,ND3.0 filter and a variable polarising filter.

Who knew that this would be one of the more expensive ways of doing things. I think i paid just about 280 euros for the whole lot (i already had a 70mm frac).

Cant say that i regret buying what i did. My Hershel Wedge is probably one of the best things i have ever bought. I bought from the big astro retailer in Germany............cant think of the name right now.

You might want to consider buying a Solar Continuum filter when you buy the WL filter. A Solar Continuum filter will show the Sun as a funky green colour, which you get used to looking at VERY quickly. It just allows you to drag out more surface detail. You probably wont need or want an ND3.0 filter (as the solar film used is rated at i think ND5.0)?, and a polarising filter just allows you to turn down the brightness of the Sun. 

I've heard those are beauties, but this is the cheapest way to see if I like solar observing.

On that note, I have found a review of the Baader ASTF

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/user-reviews/the-baader-astf-white-light-solar-filter-r2998

Other than the aperture thing, looks like the rubber thingies are secure but also interfere with putting it back into the box.

13 minutes ago, BGazing said:

I've heard those are beauties, but this is the cheapest way to see if I like solar observing.

On that note, I have found a review of the Baader ASTF

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/user-reviews/the-baader-astf-white-light-solar-filter-r2998

Other than the aperture thing, looks like the rubber thingies are secure but also interfere with putting it back into the box.

Absolutely, there is no point in spending more than you need/want for a WL setup, if you are just testing the water to see if you like solar observing. Once what you buy is 100% safe (which the larger filter seems to be). I personally just dont like the look of the filters that you are showing............that basically have rubber grips to hold the filter onto the scope. They may be perfectly fine and safe, i'm just not liking them. The whole filter just looks a bit flimsy (thin) and to me looks like it could become detached during in use..............and that is never a good thing.

Just my opinion. Safety is paramount. I will only use something which i am 150% sure will not fall off during use.

• 4 weeks later...

I followed your advice and went for the TS one, well made, nice and solid fit. Lacerta solar finder is also very handy.

Still figuring out what is a decent magnification for solar. My frac is 71/400. I started with ES8.8/82, which gave the whole disc and plenty around at 45x. A group of sunspots immediately became apparent. Pushed it to 85 (4.7mm) and it was still good. I guess that depends on seeing. Is that why people like Baader zoom with it...but I guess I would have to use it with the Baader barlow...

Archived