Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Near Earth Asteroid

Tracking near earth asteroid 2014JO25 over Exmoor last night. Hard to imagine that this tiny spot of light drifting gently across the sky is same kind of object that blasted the dinosaurs off the face of the earth 66 million years ago! image is LR reversed due to the diagonal in my refractor :)

asteroid track last night.jpg

Nice report and sketch Tim :icon_biggrin:

We got some half decent skies to observe this here as well. Awesome to think that this thing was around the size of the town I live in, but 1.1 million miles off. It's another "peanut" from these NASA / Goldstone images:

Asteroid.jpg

I've just remided myself of a really close shave - Asteroid 2012 DA14. I managed to catch this one back in 2013:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/177548-asteroid-2012-da14/

Only 150 feet across but boy did that one come close at 17,000 miles / 27,000 km :shocked:

Closer than some satellites !

Co-incidentally (or is it ?) I observed that one as it passed through Canes Venatici as well :smiley:

27 minutes ago, timwetherell said:

Wow, that is close! interesting it was in Canes Venatici too. Canes Venatici is my constellation of the moment, mostly because after years of struggle I've finally (with the help of youtube) discovered how to pronounce it :D

You can drop it casually into conversations now then ? :icon_biggrin:

Archived