NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Equinox 120 or WO FLT 110 Triplet

Hi all

I need some advice again. I have narrowed it down to these two scopes for simple uncomplicated viewing and was wondering if the extra £800 for the WO 110 is justifiable even with the slightly smaller aperture. Initially I will not be doing any astrophotographyas I will only be using a WO EZtouch mount and tripod but may eventually go for a EQ6 and start using it for astrophotography.

I feel the WO is more of a keeper than the Equinox and have always liked the fit and finish of a WO. I just think spending a bit more for a superior scope will be worth it in the long run.

Please feel free to change my mind as I could do with saving £800.

Vlebo,

See my signature ... we seem to be following parallel paths, except you've sold your Meade, I still have my C11.

I've no experience of using either the WO or the Equinox but have seen and touched both. Others will advise on the optical qualities but I doubt there is much in it. WO looks are second to none, but that does not automatically mean their build quality is as well, so again I doubt the WO is that much better than the Equinox, which is certainly not shabby looking anyway.

Although the apertures are similar, the Equinox admits 19% more light, so you'll almost certainly see more with it than the WO. However, your Meade admitted 5x as much light, so what you'll be able to see will be very limited by comparison. Also, I believe you intend to buy an EQ6, good decision, but don't underestimate the learning curve given your comments in earlier posts.

What I'd suggest is that you could be disappointed with both - still a bit of complexity to deal with regarding the mount and not enough aperture to view the fainter DSOs. Why not buy a buy a Dobsonian first - FLO has the 12" FlexTube for £589 or the 12" LightBridge for £695. If you still want a refractor after that you'd still be able to buy the Equinox and have the Dobsonian and £100 or £200 in your pocket.

Mike

Thanks Mikep

I must admit I am struggling trying to decide what to get .

My maximum budget is £2400 and you have made me rethink .I want something simple to use and easy to set up so maybe a 120 Equinox on a wo EZTouch which is semi portable and maybe a Flextube 300p for more deep sky viewing which is probably quite portable as well. With all the bits eg finderscope and collimator that comes in at about £2200.Do you think that would keep me going for a while

Thanks for your response

Vlebo

Hi Vlebo,

As I posted elsewhere recently, it is not until you have tried stuff that you can decide whether it is what you wanted or not - and it can be an expensive way of finding out. You are in SE, I'm in East Grinstead, if its anywhere near you, send me a PM and I'll send you my address so you can come round and have a look.

Frankly, it depends what you want to do with the scopes. If you simply want to observe - by which I mean just looking at objects for pure enjoyment, the 300P will keep you going for years and is by some distance the most convenient to set up and use BUT ......

The 300P has no GOTO so you will need to star hop to find your targets. If your eyesight is good, that will not present a problem, but I can honestly say there is absolutely no chance I would have found many DSOs without my GOTO mount. Clusters are not too bad, but galaxies are mere smudges in the eyepiece. You'll have the same problem with a refractor on the WO mount, but less aperture to gather the light.

I'm not competent to suggest what would be best if you want to do science eg observing double and/or variable stars, but I'd want aperture and driven mount ideally with GOTO.

For astrophotography, either refractor would be good, but the WO mount would be unsuitable - likewise for the 300P.

As for budget, I'll PM you a list of astro stuff I'm taking to Kelling so you can see if there is anything you have not taken into account.

I think you really need to step back and think hard about what you will do with whatever you buy. Aperture really is king for observing, but difficult to use for astrophotography - which requires a good mount. Speed of set up / break down is important to take advantage of gaps in the cloud.

Look out for my PM.

Mike

Are you able to visit Kelling vlebo? If so, I would take a look at and through the scopes on offer before making your decision.

Its only a few weeks away now and could save you an expensive mistake!

Thanks James

Very handy, if I have not bought my scopes by then I will be there, actually I will probably go for the day anyway.

I must say everytime I have called FLO , the person I speak to has been more than helpful in trying to help me make up my mind, so one thing I have decided is where I will be making my purchase. Just a shame there is no showroom but I realise that would mean not so keen prices.

Thanks again

Vlebo

Mike,

Don't want to hijack this thread, BUT, I wouldn't mind seeing the list you are taking to Kelling - might frighten me.

Is it possible to post it on the forum, then I could post it with your permission into Astropedia - things to take to a star party.

John

Archived